backfire and cutting out after pulley and chip

wilson

Established Member
Over the weekend I installed a pulley, chip, additional idler and exhaust. I now have an intermittent tip-in exhaust backfire (small) and the car seems to randomly cut out even at part throttle (while in boost). What I mean by cutting out is loosing boost; car falls on its face and will start to buck if I stay in it. No audible detonation.

My set up: 2.93 pulley, JMS chip, Steeda CAI, Billet Flow additional idler, Magnaflow catted X and Cat-back.

Any Ideas as to what's wrong?

Last edited:

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Did you have the traction Control on? Not calling you an idiot but it happens to all of us. I almost got in a wreck yesterday because the car fell on it's face.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Like the others have already stated TC may have been on... Right after pulley and chip swap on my car... I jumped on it, only to be greeted with motor tumbling/cutting out and a bit of backfire... Sure enough the green TC light came on... I had left the TC on...

wilson

Established Member
It is a JMS chip.

Traction control was off, it is now defaulted to off via the chip.

I have not pulled the chip to see if the condition improves. The problem exists only under boost.

I have not done the boost bypass mod, that function was supposed to be disabled with the chip.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
depends if you specified for it to be disabled.....JDM does not...and then trys to sell you a $50 vaccum T and a little tubing....ripoff!!!!! Diablo chips can have the function bypassed but the abuse function still enabled

wilson

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic03
depends if you specified for it to be disabled.....JDM does not...and then trys to sell you a $50 vaccum T and a little tubing....ripoff!!!!! Diablo chips can have the function bypassed but the abuse function still enabled

I asked for the boost bypass to be bypassed and for traction control to be defaulted to off. The JMS chip is an autologic

stangin

Established Member
Before you pull the chip, reset the computer as follows: unhook the battery, turn key to on position, touch brake pedal for about 10 seconds and then let it sit for about 15 minutes like this. This will drain off charge in the computer and reset everything, then turn key off, hook up battery, perform idle relearn procedure as follows:

start car and let idle for 5 minutes with all accessories off (no A/C)
then turn A/C on MAX and let idle for 5 minutes more

If you have the same issues I would pull the chip, repeat above procedure and try it again.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
you probably did this, but make sure before you put the chip back in the connectors are clean. Maybe you didn't clean them enough, you want the connectors to be bronze.

wilson

Established Member
NGK TR-6 @ 39. I think the problem is with the chip and I am shipping it back to JMS tomorrow. The car now cuts out even when not in boost.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
the connectors were totally clean right? If they were, the program in the chip might have been alittle too aggresive.

Users who are viewing this thread