Back to theh track...

snakebittin

Established Member
Ok ,my previous best was a 9.44 @75 mph in the 1/8th mile.Tonight I bettered that at 9.26 @75.12 mph with a 2.0798 60 foot.Again the car is a 97 cobra,4.10s,flowmaster catback,bbk catted xpipe,62mm tb,82mm masair,pullies,nitto drag radials275/40/17 H/R lowering springs,bilstein shocks and struts,tubular upper and lower control arms,255 walbro.Previously the car had a lean code fixed by the pump and no longer has any codes.I also have a SCT tuner with the "stratedgy" yune programmed.I bought a bunch of back issues of mmaff to follow along with project superfly.I cant come close to those numbers.I leave the line at 2800 and shift at 6200.It seems its al its got?I was told the track isnt prepped on tuesdays but wont use that as an excuse..:shrug::shrug:

GT500NN

Established Member
Your times seem off.. Trap speed seems low. I just took my stock 96 (bbk o/r x pipe is the only mod) to the track for the first time last weekend and went 9.25 @ 78.5. That was with a 2.24 60 foot. With your 60 foot my car should go 8.9x.. In comparison to other stock times I have seen I thought my car was a little slower than the average.

Maybe your previous lean code is still a problem? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but shifting at 6200 is probably hurting. Try 6700 or so...

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
Something isn't right with your car! I don't know what it is but you need to do some checking like compression tests and leak down tests is where I would start

snakebittin

Established Member
ok then

I will try and shift higher next time I get to the track.AS fare as getting a leak down test and compression test done I will have to see what the shops around here charge for that.Is it something I could do at home if I had the right tools?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Try changing your handheld back to the stock tune and make a few passes

snakebittin

Established Member
Slow Cobra

The car checks out ok.It jsut turned 120,000.I expected to be alittle of but not this much????Guess it was built on a monday or something,HA!Its not that big a deal except my 95 z28 auto went 8.80 with a pully and CAI.A bit of a bummer:shrug::shrug:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
The car checks out ok.It jsut turned 120,000.I expected to be alittle of but not this much????Guess it was built on a monday or something,HA!Its not that big a deal except my 95 z28 auto went 8.80 with a pully and CAI.A bit of a bummer:shrug::shrug:

You should be trapping 79 mph at a MINIMUM. You are 4 mph off that. To put it in perspective, I picked up 4 mph in the 1/8 with the 100 shot- you will definitely feel the difference when you get it running the way it should. Start with the tune- set it back to the stock settings and see if it helps.

snakebittin

Established Member
??

Well it went faster 1 tenth with the stune in it??I hope its not tired???Nobody ocally has anything to compare it to so I on my own.Like I said before I was thinking 8.90s

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Well it went faster 1 tenth with the stune in it??I hope its not tired???Nobody ocally has anything to compare it to so I on my own.Like I said before I was thinking 8.90s

I'm in Nebraska and our local track is known to not be very good. Anyway, the best I ever ran NA with intake/ exhaust and shifter, 4.30s, and 555Rs was an 8.72 @ 80mph (1.92 60'). Before the gears and DRs, it ran like 9.2s, but that was at 80 mph. I don't think it's a problem with your car- mine has 140,000 miles and a it was beat hard before I got it, but still. You will be able to pull an 8.90 no problem, but you need to just figure out why it's running so poorly. My buddy's relatively stock 5.0 hatch traps 75, and they have about 80hp less than us.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Well for me with 4.10s, bassani X-pype, UPR upper control arms, and 03 cobra struts and 315/35/17 Nitto 555R'smy car went and pulled off an 8.6 at 81mph with a 1.89 60ft. I was shifting around 6700 rpm and the track was prepped poorly. I was also running the stock tune.

snakebittin

Established Member
Well it seems to be pulling hard?Maybe the intake needs to be pulled off to clean the thing out.I guess they get clogged up over time?If that doesnt do it anyone looking for a clean straight Cobra???

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Well it seems to be pulling hard?Maybe the intake needs to be pulled off to clean the thing out.I guess they get clogged up over time?If that doesnt do it anyone looking for a clean straight Cobra???

don't just clean the IMRC's clean the secondary ports, that is where you are likely losing the power on the top end, if they have never been touched the valves will be disgusting, you will need some berrymans b-12 (dont waste time eith regular carb cleaner/shop vac to suck the crap out and a brush that will fit down there to knock down the crap.

snakebittin

Established Member
Cleaning IMRC

How long should this take start to finish?Could a novice try to do it??I dont evn know if this is a problemin my car but considering its milage I guess i will look into it???Could it get me the missing power Im looking for??

Users who are viewing this thread