Back in the game with a Blown MACH 1

snkbitten6

Established Member
Whats up guys, I don't post much on here, and If I did it was from my Dad's account (Fishinjeff) cause that's what is logged on here at the shop.

Anyway, background, I've owned 6 mustangs, always had one since I was 16. Ive own a '98 V6 - that I went on to put a cobra motor in all that blah blah... went from an ugly torn up V6 to a show winner. Also went from 17.4 @ 82 mph to a 11.9 @ 119 mph. Was a fun car. Owned a '95 gt, a real '98 chrome yellow cobra, a '02 GT, and the latest was my prized '04 Mystichrome Cobra w/42K miles. It had just bolts ons all that was 450RWHP.... The color never grew on me, it was just there.... Well met a girl, changed my life, so I asked her to marry me, I sold the cobra in the mean time last fall... WELL she was mad I sold the car, so pretty much told me I better find one...

Started looking and found this on here.... and heres the story.

And would like to give a shout out to Machofmanhattan I believe is his name on here, or Rex. Great guy, would do business with him any day.

To start out. Saw the car on SVTP, and said it was too far, to expensive, blah blah blah.... Anyway. I messaged the guy anyway, nice guy, kept asking questions. I felt like I had to be annoying him. So I got to thinking, maybe it isn't too far. I love the car, why not make this work, but how could I....

Starting doing some research on best routes to get out there, the car was located in SW Colorado... Getting to Southwest Colorado is nearly impossible and dangerous this time of year. Well got to talking to Rex, the old owner. He says he can meet me in Moab, Utah, I laugh at that, but got to looking it's a state over, but it's actually a better drive, and right off of HWY 70... So I start talking to my father and my soon to be father in law, about what'd they do. My dad said take your father in laws enclosed trailer if you go, and be safe... So I did exactly that. I even talked my fiancé into going. "not sure she'll ever do that again lol" Her dad is a huge car guy so she knows how this works ha.

Anyway, I decided to pull the trigger, had a shipping company lined up. This fell through cause they couldn't get to him this time of year out in Colorado... It was going to be $1700... So I started running numbers with my F150 pulling my father in laws closed 24ft trailer. My truck does have an Add-A-Leaf, SCT Xcal 3 tuned, load E tires, all that stuff, but I was scared about that mountains being over loaded.

I'm stubborn and said screw it, the weather is nice, I'm going. Loaded up Thursday night, bought food so we didn't spend money on that. Loaded my truck with tools, spares, scraps, chains. Friday after work, my fiancé got off work and met me at my shop, locked up and headed west at 4pm.. Picked up the trailer at HWY 65 in the middle of Missouri, from my father in law, and kept on rollin. Stopped in KC to eat, and headed out to Kansas. Drove all the way non stop except for fuel, and let her drive from western Kansas to Denver, where I took over and got us to Moab Utah. The trailer pulled terrible unloaded, truck would only do around 65 and it wanted to whip any faster. Scary part of the trip, I had a van pass me going over 100 mph on 70 at about 4 AM eastern Denver. Shook the whole truck and put the trailer into a whip at 65 MPH, I couldn't get control of the wheel, as I was dead tired, and thank God for the Ford Anti-Sway feature, it took the truck off cruise and got it to straighten out... Needless to say I was awake the rest of the trip. It pulled it through the mountains fine empty, I noticed a bit of power gone from the altitude but not too bad.

Finally get to Moab, Utah by 10:30am on Saturday. Take the car for a spin, I fall in love with the thing, load it up, and back on our way... Pulled AWESOME, no whip, pulling great. Get gas and head back towards Colorado. Pulls awesome, but Im thinking about Vail Pass, and worried about it a little bit. This is where it got a little hairy. All the ski resorts were letting out, traffic everywhere, I don't have tow mirrors, cant see who's coming up on me. Every time a semi passed me or I passed them I was thrown around a bit... So I was white knuckled the whole way back.

I hit Vail Pass. I hop in line with the truckers.. Well I'm pullin hard up the mountain, it was -13 the last night there. Well it was 50 degrees the next day "Saturday" and I was watching all my temps. My tranny is pullin HARD in 3rd the whole way up, and no shoulder cause of the snow banks. And I look up my motor temp is comin up.. Thank God I did this in winter, and that I reached the top without hurting anything. Nothing got too hot. After Denver it was easy going, as soon as I hit Kansas again, the truck actually was making power again, and with the load would run 72-75 no problem. With my '33 mud tires I actually got 11.5 mpg on the way back pulling...

I got very lucky, I had VERY nice weather going and coming back. No snow on the roads, minimal wind. Would I do it again in an F150 maybe not in the mountains. I have a decent story to go with it though. Saw some very cool things, saw some strange people, met a nice guy who loves cars, his fiancé, and mother. Saw some cool trucks/cars. And had my fiancé riding shotgun keeping me going the whole time. Got home at 7PM Sunday. We stayed in Denver Saturday night and got on the road early Sunday. Over 2000 Miles in 52 Hours....

Some pictures and specs of the car.. Sorry if this was poorly written lol I did it quickly.

Here's the map.

trip_zpseb99a57c.png

1st stop in KC

truckwtrailer_zps3678c5d2.jpg

Wind fields in Kansas

imagedyu_zps14cf76f1.jpg

Hit Colorado mountain pass

imagedfg_zps497dc3c5.jpg

imagetyui_zps21c12b18.jpg

MADE IT TO THE CAR FINALLY!

imagesdfa_zps43d5adc8.jpg

imageasdfqwer_zpsd81b886e.jpg

imagegryj_zpsa410e50c.jpg

101_0346_zps7c9faf58.jpg

Finally got it, this is how the truck sat loaded. Sat perfectly level.

imagewerqwe_zps6394820a.jpg

Photos he had...

101_0345_zpsddd50a93.jpg

photo23_zps0be19fb4.jpg

photo19_zpsc72ef5f2.jpg

imageasdfasdf_zps83e80602.jpg

Here's the run down on what I bought 2003 Mustang Mach 1

Motor:
4.6 DOHC Built by House of Boost ( - House of Boost :: We Make Fast Stuff Faster® - (Powered by CubeCart) )
Diamond Forged dished pistons (~9.5:1 comp)
Manley Forged H beam rods
Stock aluminum block bored .020 over
Clevite main bearings
Melling oil pump
All ARP assembly hardware
Ported and powdercoated 01 cobra upper & lower intake manifold
Roy’s intake spacer

Exhaust:
SLP Longtube Headers
SLP Catted X pipe
Magnaflow Magnapack catback
SLP tips

Power Adder:
Procharger D1SC with both 3.85 (installed) & 3.70 pulleys (included)
Sheetmetal 3 core (LARGE) intercooler
Polished head unit, bracket, and inlet pipe
Diablo MAFia
currently ~12psi (maybe 13 at sea level) (3.85 pulley)
SCT Xcal3 tuned by Brook Speed / Eric Brooks

Fuel System:
Siemens 60lb injectors
Stock tank modified with Dual cobra pumps
Kenne Bell Boost a pump 40amp

Rear End:
FRPP 4.10 gears
Moser hardened 28 spline axles

Wheels:
True Forged Victory wheels (18x9, 18x10)
Big Brake cut up front
Deep Dish (4.5" lip) rears

Tires:
265/35/18 Cooper fronts 65-70% remaining
315/35/18 Toyo Drag Radials 20-30% remaining

Suspension:
Hans Racecraft Full length subframes
Stangsuspension adjustable lower control arms
Stangsuspension upper control arms spherical bushings
Lakewood 70/30 struts
Strange adjustable rear drag shocks
Stock springs cut ~1.75”
MM Caster Camber plates
Hans Racecraft rear shock tower brace

Drivetrain:
MGW orange shifter
FRPP aluminum driveshaft
Lakewood driveshaft safety loop

Exterior:
30% tint
Gloss custom hood stripe
03 cobra front bumper
03 cobra sideskirts
shorty antenna
gloss black rear spoiler
lowered 1.5"-1.75"
MUSTANG rear bumper inserts

Interior:
Sony Touchscreen DVD/MP3/Bluetooth Head unit
Speed of sound dual A pillar
Autometer Boost gauge
AEM Wideband
Raptor shift light
MGW interior knobs, shift knob, etc
Custom Mach 1 rear seat delete
grandesignmats Mach 1 rear trunk mat

Motor dress-up:
Powdercoated (red) valve covers)
Polished head unit, piping, etc
MGW covers, oil cap, etc
Powdercoated (gloss black) shaker
Ford Racing coil covers
Steeda radiator cover
MOROSO power steering & coolant over flow tanks
UPR Battery tie down
Misc other dress up items

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Copy and Paste the IMG code to the right of the picture.

Nice car though for sure!

imagesdfa_zps43d5adc8.jpg

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
Awesome car. Glad you made it back alright. I know how stressful it can be towing a new and expensive vehicle home. Feels like it takes years off of your life, but its all worth it once you get home safe.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Good story, awesome car. Congrats O.P.. That car probably has $25,000 in parts and labor invested, great buy.

snkbitten6

Established Member
Slo3kgtVtr you are probably right..

Thanks guys! Gotta get it inspected then off to get it tuned for Missouri, lol not 8000ft above sealevel ha

snkbitten6

Established Member
He guessed right around 500rwhp... That was in the mountains.

Im going to change the pully, add a belt tensioner, and have it tuned for E-85.. Should make a good bit more.

Mach828

Established Member
Very nice Mach. Throw a powerpipe on it to pick up some boost. You can make your own powerpipe pretty easy with a 4" 45* pipe, 3.75" 90* coupler, and a cone filter.

snkbitten6

Established Member
From previous tuner, to the new tuner, I am told I'll be ok for fuel especially with the KB boost a pump. I'll just have to wait to see when it gets on the rollers.

Users who are viewing this thread