Baby seat owners .....

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member
Well my twins are 15 months now and finally allowed to sit in forward facing seats ( heaven forbid they should stand up behind the front bench seat like I did .... ) and I have a problem.

I want the coolest looking car seat for them that looks like a racing seat.

Anyone with suggestions....pictures ?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Can't help you with the coolest car seat (I think Sparco and maybe Recaro have some, if you can google them). The wife and I are e-friends with woman on here who has 14 month old twins, so I'll see if I can't get her to chime in.

Anyways, why so late? Are they pretty small? Just before a year old, we turned our kids around because they had out grown their car seats by so much that they're legs were hanging over the edge and they could almost flat foot the back of the back seat. Had we gotten in a wreck, we would have had 4 little broken ankles.

I'll send Susie a facebook message right now.

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member
Yeah they are little. They are 19.5 lbs and 20.5 lbs. If I am right they are supposed to be 20 lbs before you are allowed to forward face.

Thanks

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Yeah they are little. They are 19.5 lbs and 20.5 lbs. If I am right they are supposed to be 20 lbs before you are allowed to forward face.

Thanks

In Montana the law is just that they need to be over a year old and/or 20 lbs but our Dr. approved us to face the boys forward when they were just under a year old. I think they were 18 lbs at that point. Do you have boys or girls? We have 18 mo twin boys.

grendel

Established Member
i have two recaro car seats. ordered one and they sent another by accident i guess and didnt charge for the 2nd one.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ProSPORT-Combination-Harness-Booster-Midnight/dp/B003SOSWPK]Amazon.com: RECARO ProSPORT Combination Harness To Booster Car Seat, Midnight: Baby[/ame]

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member
In Montana the law is just that they need to be over a year old and/or 20 lbs but our Dr. approved us to face the boys forward when they were just under a year old. I think they were 18 lbs at that point. Do you have boys or girls? We have 18 mo twin boys.

Ours is at least one year AND twenty lbs. Or so I thought. Regardless I am doing it now no harm done !!!

I have one of each. Instant family, unbelievably lucky ! It is amazing !

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
To be honest forward facing any child before age 2 is way too early. My little girl was rear faced until she was almost 31/2. One of the safest and easiest car seats to install is a Britax.

Watch these videos and see of you still are in a hurry to front face your 15 month old.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]YouTube - Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mFsXNXOLw"]YouTube - Rear Facing vs. Forward Facing Car Seat Safety[/nomedia]

Also you can get seats that will keep your kids 5 point harnessed until 85lbs. Booster seats are dangerous for kids under 85lbs.

20lbs and 12 months old to put forward facing are minimum guidelines, Toddlers necks are nowhere strong enough to absorb an impact even at these ages and weight limits.

Last edited:

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
Well my twins are 15 months now and finally allowed to sit in forward facing seats ( heaven forbid they should stand up behind the front bench seat like I did .... ) and I have a problem.

I want the coolest looking car seat for them that looks like a racing seat.

Anyone with suggestions....pictures ?
I am the one with the 14 month old twins, I LOVE the Recaro seats, it even has a tensioner to hold the seatbeat tighter behind the seat! They are very high quality, I will tell you they barely fit in the back of the Cobra, we did a cruise night with the twins, but a daily driver no problem! Will post my pics of them in both cars, and will run and snap a pic of the tensioner for the seatbelt too..

In the Cobra
003-5.jpg

Since these are birth up to (will have to look) they have all the support you can remove and interchange...
039-1.jpg

The tensioner for the seatbelt...
039-2.jpg

CobraSusie

Established Member
Ours is at least one year AND twenty lbs. Or so I thought. Regardless I am doing it now no harm done !!!

I have one of each. Instant family, unbelievably lucky ! It is amazing !
The Recaros are designed to go front or rear facing, and I bought mine at Diapers.com: Car Seats, Strollers, Diapers & More | Free Shipping they ship for free (anything over $49.!) I also got the babies McLaren double stroller there, I paid close attention to the weight on both items, the double stroller goes up to 2 55lb kids (or 110 lbs.) lol!

074.jpg

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member

wrong dude, no harm unless you get in a collision. kids are too precious to comprimise their safety. Watch a few of the videos I have posted on rear vs front car seat tests on kids. The result of a too early front facing can be an internal decapitation as their necks are still so fragile.

I hate to be harsh or preach to people but I feel very strong on this issue and did a tonne of research and spoke with a couple ER doctors I know and they say major neck injuries are far to common in children in even minor accidents.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
I am the one with the 14 month old twins, I LOVE the Recaro seats, it even has a tensioner to hold the seatbeat tighter behind the seat! They are very high quality, I will tell you they barely fit in the back of the Cobra, we did a cruise night with the twins, but a daily driver no problem! Will post my pics of them in both cars, and will run and snap a pic of the tensioner for the seatbelt too..

In the Cobra
003-5.jpg

Since these are birth up to (will have to look) they have all the support you can remove and interchange...
039-1.jpg

The tensioner for the seatbelt...
039-2.jpg

Maybe I shoulodnt have read this topic :eek:

Dude Not sure if you realize but those clips that clip each side of the shoulder belt together has to be chest level. Where the clip is in those pictures in a accident its likely that those kids shoulders will slip out.. and only the lap belt will hold them.... could be very bad. Again. way too young to forward face.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
corny video but this shows an extend rear face. legs are up against the rear of the seat but kid is still comfortable. 2 broken ankles is a lot better that broken necks

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxU_ii2_TRM&feature=related"]YouTube - Extended Rear Facing--Nicholas[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOVyGzzf6HA&feature=related"]YouTube - Radian XT Rear Facing 2 Year Old[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTDUCEha12g&feature=related"]YouTube - CarseatBlog.Com: Rear-Facing in My Ride 65[/nomedia]

CobraSusie

Established Member
Maybe I shoulodnt have read this topic :eek:

Dude Not sure if you realize but those clips that clip each side of the shoulder belt together has to be chest level. Where the clip is in those pictures in a accident its likely that those kids shoulders will slip out.. and only the lap belt will hold them.... could be very bad. Again. way too young to forward face.
They were only faced forward in this pic (during the summer) for 'one cruise night that wasn't even 2 miles from my door step, were both over 20 lbs. the only time they were in the Cobra, so relax, they are even bigger now, and yes front facing, but they are big kids, (I am 6 foot 1 inch, he is 6 foot 3in.) the babies are in size 2T and going into 3T so if you have kids you know they are big enough ;-)

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
They were only faced forward in this pic (during the summer) for 'one cruise night that wasn't even 2 miles from my door step, were both over 20 lbs. the only time they were in the Cobra, so relax, they are even bigger now, and yes front facing, but they are big kids, (I am 6 foot 1 inch, he is 6 foot 3in.) the babies are in size 2T and going into 3T so if you have kids you know they are big enough ;-)

Do what you want, I was just giving advise as a lot of people just dont know the risks of front facing kids too early. Its not their size but development of neck muscles etc.. Weight and length have nothing to do with it really. Do some research and Im sure you will agree with my points. I started researching when my little girl was born and was amazed at how much I didnt know.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Do what you want, I was just giving advise as a lot of people just dont know the risks of front facing kids too early. Its not their size but development of neck muscles etc.. Weight and length have nothing to do with it really. Do some research and Im sure you will agree with my points. I started researching when my little girl was born and was amazed at how much I didnt know.

Our pediatrician gave us the go-ahead to face our kids forward when they were just shy of a year old. They were too big to fit in our rear-facing car seats at that point. :read:

CobraSusie

Established Member
I will definately take a look into it, safe is definately better then sorry ;-)
I should have comment that, that was a one time thing (the only way they would fit in the car that day) our cruise night is pretty big and parking a second car usually doesn't happen, but yes will take a look and may even stop at the fire dept. and see what they say too!

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Our pediatrician gave us the go-ahead to face our kids forward when they were just shy of a year old. They were too big to fit in our rear-facing car seats at that point. :read:

there are convertible seats on the market that you can rear face until 40lbs and then switch them around and 5 point harness front facing until 65lbs.
Im not telling people what to do just trying to spread a bit of knowledge.
Im surprised that some doctors lack knowledge when it comes to this

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
there are convertible seats on the market that you can rear face until 40lbs and then switch them around and 5 point harness front facing until 65lbs.
Im not telling people what to do just trying to spread a bit of knowledge.
Im surprised that some doctors lack knowledge when it comes to this

Our seats that face forward will also face backwards but they don't fit in the car facing backwards. My doctor told us about their neck muscles, and the reasons why babies face backwards. He also told us that they would be ok to face forwards now because their muscles are developed and strong enough.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Our seats that face forward will also face backwards but they don't fit in the car facing backwards. My doctor told us about their neck muscles, and the reasons why babies face backwards. He also told us that they would be ok to face forwards now because their muscles are developed and strong enough.

again your choice. At least watch the videos I posted on the crash tests. And this one.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKm7SenDHU&feature=related"]YouTube - Keep Kids Rear-Facing![/nomedia]

My Daughter is now 41/2 and has been front facing for only about a year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread