Baaad Ticket

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Last night, I installed a new pipe on my '05 R6 and I figured I would take it for a quick cruise to see how it sounds. I went a few miles out of town on an open stretch of road, saw no cars behind me or coming, so I banged it through 3rd gear, and at the top of 3rd, slowed down and looked in my rearview to see blue lights about a half mile back. I immediately pulled over and turned my bike off and took my gear off. The officer approached with caution obviously, and recognized me when he got nearer. I was very apologetic and respectful, gave him all my info. Meanwhile, another unit showed up and while the first police officer was in his car, he was talking to me about everything. He explained how I could go to jail for getting clocked over 100 in a 50, but because I was being compliant with them and was honest about only having my motorcycle permit, I was probably not going to jail. The original officer came out of the car and told me I was getting the bare minimum ticket he could reason with; 2 points and a $576 fine (106 in a 50), and he was going to try and find another officer to drive my bike home since I wasn't suppose to be driving after dark with my Permit. Eventually, they couldn't find anyone to drive it, so they called a wrecker and hung out untill he got there. After strapping my bike down, we were on our way when we heard a big crack and looked back at my bike on its side half off the truck. He slowed down and we got out and looked at the damage, which included scratches and gouges down the whole right side of my bike. We re-strapped the bike and got to my house 5 minutes later and the guy from the tow service basically told me that they don't insure motorcycle tow's. I felt mother-f---ed at this point. Should I feel blessed @getting away with a reasonably small ticket for what I did and forget about the damaged bike, or should I go after the tow company?? BTW, I know it was very irresponsible going that fast and risking other people's safety as well as my own.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
You were very "kinda" lucky with the ticket. I dont know about were you are but that ticket would be 3 points here. They could have arrested you that could have been worse, but at the same time they could have wrote you for 5 over and just wrote clocked at XXX on the ticket. They had to tow your bike. And the tow company would be paying my insurance deductable.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Your bike fallign over is total BS i would flip shit.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
You have a couple of options. Number 1, is claim it on your insurance if you have full coverage. You will have to pay your deductable. Then have your insurance company go after the tow truck driver. If your insurance company gets the money from them then you get your deductable back. Number 2, go after the tow truck company in small claims court. Hum, not having coverage on a motorcycle tow sounds kind of fishy. Where I work they need to have everything and then some. I can assure you if they can't take of the persons vehicles and its contents then they are off of our tow business. Now, you are going to pay for your screw-up, but having your vehicle damaged is a separate deal and you should not have to pay for that. If that's the case, I think the tow truck company should have said something.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Lucky on the ticket. Does not dismiss the Tow Company's responsibilty to safeguard your vehicle. Go after their insurance.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I will chime in but between Dale and Iceman you have the proper advice. Yes you got very lucky with the tickets and the officer allowing you bike to be towed.

The tow truck incident is a seperate and distinct event. It doesnt matter if the tow company insures motorcycles or not, unless you signed a waiver stating that you agree to hold them harmless for any damage that might arise from being towed. If you didnt sign a waiver, whether they have coverage for it or not, they are obligated to use reasonable care and they obviously didnt. Get three estimates and present it to them in the form of a registered letter return receipt. In the letter tell them they are indeed responsible and if they dont pay by a set date, you will sue them.

If you need to sue them, the letter with green return receipt card will help your case tremendously.

Good Luck

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Let me put that excuse in a different light for you and see if it makes sense.

Lets say im a mover and im moving your stuff into my truck. I carry out most of your stuff without a problem. However when I carry out your new plasma TV, I drop it on the ground, causing about 3000 in damage to its internals. Now if I said to you "my insurance doesnt cover this" would you accept this? No? correct!

If you are a bonded and insured business (I cant imagine the police using one that isnt) you (if you have a solitary ounce of business sense, especially in todays litigation free for all of a world) carry whats called a GL or general liability insurance policy. This policy is used to cover incidents and damages not associated with normal practice of business. Not completely sure what vermont insurance regulations are, but I would bet my left arm that the company carries a GL policy and that infact will pay out if they are sued and lose. In any case make sure you hound them, either they'll pay, or their GL insurance policy will when ajudication comes around. I only wish you were in florida, I would love to have you as a client, too much damage to vehicles down here from tow truck drivers not correctly attaching the vehicles to the tow apparatus.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
When I was a kid, my buddy and I put his car in a ditch. A tow truck came to pull us out. The driver didnt close the door as he pulled the car out backwards. The door was preessed into the dirt and bent forwards until it was touching the front quarter panel. The tow company replaced the door.

One the vehicle is hooked to the truck, it is their responsibility.

okflyswatter

Established Member
B.S. about the tow truck. Any company will tell you that in hopes that you are a moron and don't know any better. Call them until they admit they are at fault and realize you won't give in!

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
okflyswatter said:
B.S. about the tow truck. Any company will tell you that in hopes that you are a moron and don't know any better. Call them until they admit they are at fault and realize you won't give in!
I let it simmer for a few days and called the tow-truck guy and he at first was trying to say that the bike didn't fall "that hard" and that some of the damage could have already been there!! We went around in circles for a few minutes, but then he warmed up to the idea of taking care of the damage when I threatened to seek legal advice. I wasn't seriously considering it, but just the mention scared him a bit I guess. I'm just happy he's taking responsibility now.

whosurdaddy

Established Member
He was half a mile back!? You had enough time to stop and take off all your gear? Why didnt you run it through 4th and jump on another road? No $500 ticket and no damage to your bike! :shrug:

Last edited:

awax_cobrastang

Acura Performance B!TCHES
Established Member
Delaware (formerly mass-pats fan for life)
thats what i would have done... i have mad respect for the popo but when it comes to my bike, im dropin it down a gear and haulin ass. a cop tried to pull me over after i did a very very small wheelie... by the time he turned around i was a glimmer, he did turn his lights on and ran a couple of red lights(the buddies i was ridding with told me) but turned back around after about two minutes

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Should of ran :poke:

Yeah thats great advice :kaboom: . my buddy did that and in NJ we have a no pursuit law for motor vehicle violations so the officer turned off his lights he was home free right, wrong my dumbass friend crashes. He was charged with eluding. Oh by the way he did atleast learn something from the whole incident and is no a LEO in Stamford Conn.

Users who are viewing this thread