B Spring Install Headaches

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I just spent 8 hours replacing the front left shock and spring on the Cobra, and was wondering, is there any better way to do this? I rented a spring compressor like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-27035?seid=srese1&gclid=CNK1q_GY9bwCFVLxOgod43IAtQ, and it took forever to finally place the spring just right, and compress it, and then work it slowly into the pocket under the fender. I've watched just about every video on how to do this, but none of them ever even mention needing a spring compressor to put the spring in. Is there anything I'm missing or doing wrong?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Wow... 8 hours...

I never used a spring compressor on the car when it had conventional springs. Yanked the old ones out, stuck the new one in the upper pocket and then leveraged it into the pocket into the lower control arm using a large screwdriver or crowbar, etc.. Then put a jack under the control arm to compress the spring and install the shock. It's really very simple. Could probably do a side using that method and be done start to finish in 45 minutes to an hour.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Wow... 8 hours...

I never used a spring compressor on the car when it had conventional springs. Yanked the old ones out, stuck the new one in the upper pocket and then leveraged it into the pocket into the lower control arm using a large screwdriver or crowbar, etc.. Then put a jack under the control arm to compress the spring and install the shock. It's really very simple. Could probably do a side using that method and be done start to finish in 45 minutes to an hour.

This is what I did as well when changing to H&R Super Sport springs. Took no time at all.

CobraHuck

Established Member
Yeah dude, that's crazy how long that took lol. Like they said, 45min-1hr tops is what it should take to do both sides. Car on jackstands, wheels off, jack under the lower control arm, I like to take the brake caliper off and hang it up out of the way so you don't risk stretching the brake line but it's not necessary if you're careful, take the rotor off, unbolt the 2 bolts holding the strut to the spindle, let the strut hang and slowly let the jack down. You'll need to pry down on the control arm to get it low enough to let the spring out, shouldn't be an issue but just be careful and watch the spring.

Pull it out, put the new one in top first, then push the bottom in. May need a pry bar to get a little extra leverage. Make sure it's rotated to where the end pigtail of the spring is in the little pigtail pocket in the LCA. Then just jack the LCA up, bolt the spindle and strut back together, throw the caliper on and you're done.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Wow... 8 hours...

I know :/ and that's exact process I've been following, but it's almost like the spring was physically too big for the space. They aren't the back springs either...

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
It's a pain for sure. I need to get the right side done asap, and I've seen the back ones are easy, so long as you disconnect the sway bar and take both shocks off and just let the axle droop down.

Users who are viewing this thread