B head runner removal

boost88

Established Member
Has anyone taken a b manifold apart? I've tried the heat and wiggle/pry with 0 luck. Even broke on of the ears off I need to have fixed now. I've got this thing so hot I can't touch it with gloves in some areas. And it still isn't coming apart

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

boost88

Established Member
in case anyone wants to know its takes a hell of a lot of heat. MAPP gas didnt cut it for me. I had to use an oxy/acetylene torch but i got them all out. Pro Tip: be careful because its borderline metal melting heat. heat it fast and quick

1slow4vGT

Established Member
in case anyone wants to know its takes a hell of a lot of heat. MAPP gas didnt cut it for me. I had to use an oxy/acetylene torch but i got them all out. Pro Tip: be careful because its borderline metal melting heat. heat it fast and quick
This is precisely why I stopped my attempt of pulling the runners to do a short runner.

boost88

Established Member
Once you get the first one out it's not so bad.

Depending how bad you want one there's a lower that's been shortened and inch on ebay right now. I don't know that I'll become one of those guys that does them but I do have a shit ton of pictures and im writing a how to for that and making imrc delete plates. I know it's all been done before but all the good pictures are gone.

1slow4vGT

Established Member
Once you get the first one out it's not so bad.

Depending how bad you want one there's a lower that's been shortened and inch on ebay right now. I don't know that I'll become one of those guys that does them but I do have a shit ton of pictures and im writing a how to for that and making imrc delete plates. I know it's all been done before but all the good pictures are gone.

We need more people like you. So many good writeups that are broken now due to missing photos, etc.

boost88

Established Member
Yeah I agree. I just wrote a good imrc delete plate how to and I plan on doing the one for the short runner intake too. I can't really think of anything else thats worth doing atm

boost88

Established Member
Intake is off at the welders. Not sure when I'll get it back but it's been a fairly simple process so far
20220305_105830.jpeg
20220302_171547.jpeg
20220302_165658.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

boost88

Established Member
Theyre cylinder specific to a degree. 1 and 8 are the same. And the others are pretty much the same with different alignment nubs. I just labeled them all and put them back where they go

'00project

Mystic '96
Established Member
I thought they looked slightly different from top view photos I've seen, but then couldn't tell seeing them out. Is there room to port for the air coming down like the area ported on the cobra/mach intakes or is it not necessary?

boost88

Established Member
From all my research porting isn't a good idea. B head cars have low intake velocities as it is which is why they have IMRC plates. So it's recommended not to port anything. Todd Warren even says gasket matching isn't worth it

'00project

Mystic '96
Established Member
I was referring to the area(s) in red. I plan on modifying IMRC plates for GT head that I have.

Attachments

• cobra intake.jpeg
    cobra intake.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 60

boost88

Established Member
Oh I got it. You could but you would increase plenum volume which I read is a no go for low end tq. Reduction in plenum volume is what helps eliminate some of the low end loss. Some people even filled those ledge areas with epoxy to further reduce plenum volume

boost88

Established Member
I used this jb weld clearweld. Make sure you get the 8oz kit because the other is too small.

I took a popsicle stick and applied it to the runner and stuffed it in. Then I took some left over and used a syringe to fill the area next to it where ford does too

I took it up to 6800 rpm twice yesterday at a full operating temp of 200 degree and had 0 issues. Seems to be holding up great
download%20(45).jpeg

Last edited:

boost88

Established Member
Car is tuned for the most part and had the chance to do a wot in 2nd for a data log. The low end loss if any was probably masked by the long tubes and power steering pulley I added. But above 5k it's highly noticeable. It continued to impress all the way to 7k.

Anyone whose driven a b head car knows that sluggish feeling it gets around the top when it hits around 6k. It's completely gone and was simply butter smooth until 7k.

Also I'll throw a plug in here for EFIdynotuning. Decipha was and is fantastic. The car was dialed in far better even on the 2nd revision then its ever been. Extremely happy

Users who are viewing this thread