AZ license plate frame?

BackInBlack

Established Member
I guess AZ just put a law into effect where having a license plate frame that covers any part of the word "arizona" on the top portion of the license is grounds for a fine of upwords of $200. After checking out peoples plates when I go driving I have noticed about 75% of people are guilty. Is this most likely one of those laws used as an excuse to pull someone over or is it likely that I will get pulled over and fined on just that one count? Whould the excuse of not knowing work?

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
The law goes into effect January 1, 2009. As far as will you get ticketed for it, that's up to the officer who pulled you over. Why not just eliminate the risk of getting a ticket and take the plate frame off...? :idea:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I guess AZ just put a law into effect where having a license plate frame that covers any part of the word "arizona" on the top portion of the license is grounds for a fine of upwords of $200. After checking out peoples plates when I go driving I have noticed about 75% of people are guilty. Is this most likely one of those laws used as an excuse to pull someone over or is it likely that I will get pulled over and fined on just that one count? Whould the excuse of not knowing work?

If you research the bill that led to the law you will find the legislative intent behind it. I doubt you will find anywhere that the intent of the law is to create P.C. for a stop and to issue a fine. I would bet it goes directly to the fact that with so many different colored and schemed plates for each state it is important that the officer be able to read the name of the state when running the plate. Back in the day you could identify the state by the color combination of the plates. In Florida, for instance, there are over 100 different plate schemes with different colors.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

STG

Banned
I swear Montana must have over 100 different styles.

I never understood why people mount license plate frames with advertising, stupid slogans or the make and model of the car on them. I guess they go with all the speed product decals on the cars. You know, all the stuff the car owner is not getting sponsorship money for using.

Most of them remind me of the over-stylized signature pictures on SVTP.

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
think they also wanted the nice photo cameras to be able to clearly see it when they snap your pic for speeding too...

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Texas came out with this same law back in 2003, then revised it saying no more than 50% of the letters of TEXAS cannot be covered. Guess someone (dope dealers) got their little feeling hurt.
Seriously, the intent was for the toll roads runners. So that camera's can make out the state and send you your donation fee to the county.

txyaloo

Established Member
Texas came out with this same law back in 2003, then revised it saying no more than 50% of the letters of TEXAS cannot be covered. Guess someone (dope dealers) got their little feeling hurt.
Seriously, the intent was for the toll roads runners. So that camera's can make out the state and send you your donation fee to the county.

Unfortunately, the intent isn't how it was sometimes enforced. It was ludicrous someone could have their car impounded for having a license plate frame covering part of the space shuttle. I don't know how the legislature ever passed the original bill.

STG

Banned
Just run a frame like this. Elegant, discrete, understated. Plus, it doesn't have any dumbass shit written on it to piss off cops!:dancenana:

Head-on-71K.jpg

93 svt

03 ROUSH stage 3
Established Member
its just another way for your girl Janet to get more money out of us Arizonians before she helps screw up the us. :nonono:

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
think they also wanted the nice photo cameras to be able to clearly see it when they snap your pic for speeding too...

Yea +1

But just think of all the people who have the license plate frames announcing what dealer they purchased their vehicle from. I can see a few angry people marching into the dealership, "your cheap pathetic attempt at advertisement just got me a $200 fine!"

Not that it is an excuse, but seriously, think of all the people who have a frame on their license plate that they never wanted in the first place.

exdeath

Established Member
Why not just eliminate the risk of getting a ticket and take the plate frame off...? :idea:

Why not make more laws and give people tickets for having grey and green cars, aftermarket trim and wheels, etc?

After all they can just "take them off" or get a different color car.

Users who are viewing this thread