Axleback vs Catback

KurtDog

Established Member
Is there any reason to get a catback on these cars vs an axleback?

I'm not sure the catbacks justify an extra few hundred dollars and just want to know what everyones opinion is. I use my GT as a daily driver and just want a better sound. I live in Cali and will not be messing with the mid pipes.

Any input is apreciated.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
^ hes correct, the crushed resonators will be removed with the over axel pipes so depending on your wants for noise will help decide.

Personally i like a well made catback vs just mufflers.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
So catback = louder?

Yes, because it will eliminate the resonators.

Another less expensive solution is get an axleback and then get an exhaust shop to cut the resonators out and replace them with straight pipe. My shop did that for $40.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
After seeing the factory exhaust, I wished I would have deleted the resonators and just installed an axle back. I have a borla catback and it sounds great but I could have saved a lot of money going the other route.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
the 5.0 exhaust is really well put together....aside from LTH and/or Off road x/h...i cant see any gains bieng made after these with different piping...MAYBE a freer flowing axel back// I got gt500's waitning for me :rockon:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
After seeing the factory exhaust, I wished I would have deleted the resonators and just installed an axle back. I have a borla catback and it sounds great but I could have saved a lot of money going the other route.

Well your factory exhaust is 2.75 over axel and so is Borla's. Kooks or Magnaflow are 3inch.

Not that it makes much difference, but i wanted the same size piping back to the mufflers.

RMoore92

Established Member
Well your factory exhaust is 2.75 over axel and so is Borla's. Kooks or Magnaflow are 3inch.

Not that it makes much difference, but i wanted the same size piping back to the mufflers.

It could make some difference when the entire run is 3" once you get around to doing the entire system with LT's.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member

The borla is 3" throughout. Also if you take a look at the stock exhaust piping its crimped all over the place. I was happy to get rid of it with better piping. You can see this mentioned in one of the svtp 5.0 articles.

acrbill

Established Member
I had a srt-4 that made over 400whp through a single 3" exhaust. The dual 2.75" exhaust will support more than any ones daily driver will put out.

That being said, I definitely prefer the sound of my car with the Hushpowers and offroad H. Since you are keeping the stock cats you may want to delete the resonators to make is a bit louder.

I was just looking at the new product on the American muscle site and saw a new Flowmaster axleback that uses straight through bullet mufflers which may be all the sound you need.

Users who are viewing this thread