Axle slop/clunk?

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
When I go over uneven bumps I get a clunking sound in the rear of the truck. When parked I can rock the bed and make the clunking sound. It almost appears that the axle is shifting a little in the axle housing. Can the rear axle bearings be tightened up the same way as the front with tightening the nut or is the rear totally different than the front end? But if so, could this be my clunk? It seems to be getting worse and worse. I hate this truck, wish I had my flawless 03 back... :(

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Damn that sucks..Axles would be held in by c-clips so I don't think there is any room for adjustment. I would put the truck up on jacks and pop off the diff cover and see whats going on. Or have a buddy rock the truck and see if you can pin point the nose..May not be even coming from the rear end.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Pretty sure it's the rear. The right side seems to be worse when grabbing the tire and rocking it hard. What would cause this? Axle bearing? Thought these rears where good up to 1000hp? I'm stock and baby the truck although I'm not the original owner.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
At about 80k my truck started to make a clunking in the rear noticeable at slow speeds, pulled the cover to find the cross pin in the stock diff had a loose fit in the carrier and was causing the hollow sounding rotating clunk. Could have been wear or a casting flaw. installed a true-track and it was gone :burnout:

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
At about 80k my truck started to make a clunking in the rear noticeable at slow speeds, pulled the cover to find the cross pin in the stock diff had a loose fit in the carrier and was causing the hollow sounding rotating clunk. Could have been wear or a casting flaw. installed a true-track and it was gone :burnout:

Is this something easily (and hopefully cheaply) fixable by a shop while sticking with all stock parts? I've actually been rocking the beds of multiple f150's (not just Lightnings) and they all cluck!! Even a Ranger from the same era! But yea, I have the slow speed hollow clunk. You described it perfectly! Now, is this harmful or more or less just annoying? I can live with the clunk for now if the rear isn't just going to fall apart. Thanks for the info....

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
Is this something easily (and hopefully cheaply) fixable by a shop while sticking with all stock parts? I've actually been rocking the beds of multiple f150's (not just Lightnings) and they all cluck!! Even a Ranger from the same era! But yea, I have the slow speed hollow clunk. You described it perfectly! Now, is this harmful or more or less just annoying? I can live with the clunk for now if the rear isn't just going to fall apart. Thanks for the info....

If a vehicle is on the ground and you rock it back and forth you will hear a clunk on any vehicle. you always have slop, gear back lash and movement in the trans.

The noise I had was with the vehicle up in the air i could rotate the tires forwardat a constant and smooth pace when the carrier flipped and the pressure chanced on the center pin it would twist in its bore (usually a very snug/near press fit).
Swapping to a true track, detroit, or a new/used ford track lock limited slip could set you back about $1k depends on the cost of the locker you use. any shop that installs gears could install them. as far as safe... im not going to make that call lol i doubt it will fail but over time it will likely get worse/louder.
Pull the diff cover and see whats up. I could easily see the cross pin rock in the carrier. not cool imo, i changed that junk right away. plus the stock clutch type limited slip sucks

Last edited:

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
If a vehicle is on the ground and you rock it back and forth you will hear a clunk on any vehicle. you always have slop, gear back lash and movement in the trans.

The noise I had was with the vehicle up in the air i could rotate the tires forwardat a constant and smooth pace when the carrier flipped and the pressure chanced on the center pin it would twist in its bore (usually a very snug/near press fit).
Swapping to a true track, detroit, or a new/used ford track lock limited slip could set you back about $1k depends on the cost of the locker you use. any shop that installs gears could install them. as far as safe... im not going to make that call lol i doubt it will fail but over time it will likely get worse/louder.
Pull the diff cover and see whats up. I could easily see the cross pin rock in the carrier. not cool imo, i changed that junk right away. plus the stock clutch type limited slip sucks

Gulp.... 1k just to fix this? Even with using stock replacement parts? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread