Axle-backs rusted on after 10k miles.....

Fun4me

Established Member
I'm trying to switch-out my axlebacks, but it looks like they're rusted on.

I hit them w/ PB blast and a rubber hammer and they're not coming off.

Anyone have any suggestions? I dont really want to break out the torch so close to the fuel tank/lines.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
You must be doing something wrong.there is no way that they could just get welded in by rust.

Fun4me

Established Member
You must be doing something wrong.there is no way that they could just get welded in by rust.

Unless the previous owner glued them on......

I have all the brackets removed and the rea-most hanger unhooked, the only thing holding them on are the overaxle pipes....

I drove the car all winter in Chicago.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
That's strange man. I wish I could help. I just took mine out this Saturday to install gt500 ab and it was about 25 minute job.

I did take them off 10k miles ago to though.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
As long as you don't hit a fuel line it should be ok. Not the safest thing to do. Take it to a muffler shop man.

Fun4me

Established Member
Use a grinder with a cutting wheel on it. That's what I did when I removed my factory exhaust.
I'm taking off S-types. JUst put on the Gibson O/R x and need to put on the stockers to quiet the exhaust down a bit. S-types will be for sale locally(Chicago) as soon as I can get them off.

06colorado

Established Member
Try putting a jack on the over the axle pipe, while putting pressure on them wack the pipe with a rubber hammer.

wingless5.0

Established Member
My roushes were rusted on. Banged the spot were the axle back meets the over axle pipe with a rubber mallet and it came off clean.

Chaney5.0

Rubber mallet? LOL Just a real hammer. It will shock the metal and crack it loose... Put some back into it. There is nothing that is going to keep them on that bad. I could understand if it was just one muffler. But both... The chances of that means you're doing something wrong lol

Fun4me

Established Member
I just talked to the original owner and he said no cement was used. They've been soaking in PB blaster overnight, I'll go hit them with a real hammer in a little bit. The car has seen salt and was driven throught the whole winter, so I'm not surprised.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Users who are viewing this thread