Awful, odd, and strange library books

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Oh my, some of these books are real gems.

All books and quotes from the site Awful Library Books

teacher-spanks-johnny.jpg

“The book is called Teacher Spanks Johnny: A Handbook for Teachers. A quick reference to page 18 in the chapter titled Force Used on Pupil By Teacher where it states that “five blows with a ping-pong paddle is not unreasonable force“.

snake.jpg

Chapters on constipation and diarrhea, for example, would come in handy if you had a snake with those problems. Believe me, you want the proper technique when administering an enema to your pet python.

coffinsfront.jpg

With a bit of gallows-type humor (mostly puns), this book details wood carving for coffins for both humans and pets. Really. Personally, I cracked up at our carpenter author on the back in his death garb and the details of how you can make a coffin double as a coffee table.

craftsforretarded.jpg

craftsretarded2.jpg

A quote from the cover blurb: “This book is written primarily for teachers and for parents whose youngsters have come into the world with less potential than the so-called ‘average’ child.” Submitters say: “What better way to raise a child’s potential than by teaching him or her to stretch a goat skin to make a drum, then paint swastikas on it?”

passion-for-donkeys.jpg

“It’s a must-read for anyone who wants to get into the donkey-breeding business. I understand that passion is the key to life, and I like to think I’m open-minded, but anyone with a passion for donkeys probably needs psychiatric help.”

clothingdisabledpeople.jpg

looking at the cover now – in 2009 – suggests that if you are in a wheelchair, you cannot be fashionable.

I think the guy in a wheelchair is saying to the woman, “Do I really have to dress like Mr. Rogers?”

dealwithparents1.jpg

The chapter titles are great – read the back cover here (enlarged for easier reading):

dealwithparents21.jpg

The author uses phrases like “going steady” and “getting fresh.” Do kids today know what that means? And how about the chapter called “Why Your Mother Acts That Way” and the father’s answer is “Your mother is going through a change of life” (p.37).

dee-snider-2.jpg

Dee Snider was the lead singer of Twisted Sister in the ’80s. This was a cool book in my day! It’s still a good book message-wise, but if you gave this book to a teenager today they would probably laugh hysterically and ask who the clown on the cover is. It’s definitely time for an upgrade!

video-taping-handbook.jpg

If anyone has one of those awesome ten pound video cameras that sits up on your shoulder, this is the book for them! No, not digital and no, it does not teach you how to use editing software so you can post your four year old hoola hooping on YouTube. It is, however, all about “the newest systems, cameras, and techniques.”

umbrella1.jpg

When I am reviewing my journals and considering items for the collection, I often say “Damn, where are all the good reference books on umbrellas?” Well, wonder no more!

abuse1.jpg

I am speechless just on the title alone! Who on earth is the target market for this book? Abusers looking for an “out” ? Question to the public library with this holding: are child abusers one of your major patron groups that you feel are being underserved by the public library?

disco.jpg

“Revolutionary step-by-step approach shows you how to be a hit on Saturday night.” They had me at revolutionary.

creative-recreation-for-the-mentally-retarded.jpg

Wow. I’m going to assume that most librarians do not think this is a good choice for today’s shelves.

books-001.jpg

I am willing to concede that maybe there isn’t much in the way of scientific advancement in the world of leeches, but c’mon! The toenail fungus on the cover is disgusting!

:dw:

Users who are viewing this thread