Avoiding getting wax on Matt-black stripes?

Yams

Established Member
Was wondering what technique you guys use to avoid getting wax on the rough texture stripes. Or, will it not hurt to hand rub the dried paste that gets on it. I was told that wax that gets on the edges, works under the sticky and can cause it to separate.

c3bd3e17-702e-4b90-a1f4-f6067d836ebe.jpg

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member
Was wondering what technique you guys use to avoid getting wax on the rough texture stripes. Or, will it not hurt to hand rub the dried paste that gets on it. I was told that wax that gets on the edges, works under the sticky and can cause it to separate.

c3bd3e17-702e-4b90-a1f4-f6067d836ebe.jpg

Tape that area off.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Waxing over GLOSS stripes is usually not a problem, bu I recommend against waxing over MATTE stripes. Taping them off is one possibility, but I've found that to be a lot of work for somewhat mixed results. These days, I treat my stripes with Adam's Super VRT before (polishing and) waxing and work then work around them. the SVRT ensures that if I get a little (polish, sealant, or) wax on a stripe, it simply wipes off.

On a related note, this video shows how to care for factory vinyl stripes.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Like it's been said, just put some masking tape on the edges of the stripes. If you do get some on there, a toothbrush and peanut butter will take it off and make it look as if never happened.

Users who are viewing this thread