auxiliary idler pulley ,good or bad?

iceman22

Established Member
This is my first post and just want some opinions from experience .:read: I am in the process of installing a 2.9 whipple on a 2011 ,the belt went on but was extremely tight and ripped to shreds 15 seconds after start up :fm:.My setup currently has the 90mm idler pulley up next to the sc snout to increase belt wrap . My question is this pulley hurting the sc with the additional pressure it puts on the snout being so close to the sc pulley ,ive heard mixed opinions but im sure im removing mine and waiting on new belt , and is anyone else having trouble with the stock belt on the 2.9 with 3.25 pulley .

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The metco Auxiliary idler kit I got let's you adjust how close the pulley is to the blower.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
you should be about to adjust the idler to give a little slack. in no way should you have belt shredding up.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I actually called the folks at Whipple and asked this very question when I was troubleshooting what I thought was belt slip. They said to NOT use an aux idler with the Whipple as it can lead to bearing failure. The aux idler puts too much stress at an odd angle.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
With what you have there is no need for aux pulley. I run the 3.25 pulley for 3 yrs now with no issues. Every now and then I place the 3.0 pulley and still no issues.

JimIII@jdm

The auxilary idler was originally designed and intended for cars with the stock Supercharger running a smaller diameter pulley. There aren't many shorter belt size options when you go to the smaller diameter upper like a 2.6" so the auxilary idler would take up the slack.

The Whipple charger comes with usually a 3.250" or 3.00" upper which is going to have more belt surface contact than a 2.6" or otherwise smaller than stock pulley. There for there is no need for the auxilary idler. Also there are a few options for longer than stock length belts.

If the belt tension is too tight you can easily damage the belt or tensioner arm. I would recommend removing the aux idler like whipple suggests and go with the recommended belt length. You may also want to consider a stronger belt tensioner arm as I have seen them bend or even break! We sell the Thumprr Tensioner which is solid billet aluminum and comes with a stronger internal spring! If you want to order one of these call me at 732-780-0770 I would be happy to help out!

Nsssane1

Established Member
I couldn't get the K100852 belt to fit with a aux idler, so removed it still wouldn't work so had to get a Thump tensioner which is a great piece and belt slid right on. I do have a 10% od Iw also. Double check make sure belt is in grooves also climb under car and look at bottom pulleys.

Users who are viewing this thread