autox'd my svt this afternoon

Steeltwo

Established Member
had a little event today in a parking lot.

since my dsm won't appreciate a downshift while moving in first gear.

Figured, why the hell not
and entered my tour. its made for this shit right??

my friend entered with his 01 Gti which won the class last year. Thru the grape vine I found out the gti owner though I wasn't "experienced" enough to race.

or that could have been my other friend starting shit, as he usually does.

my suspension setup is as expected, 100% stock(106k miles on factory parts). BFG Traction T/A's in the front(new), Dunlop 8000's in the back(half used).

it was referred to as a "tight course" by the officials
on my best lap I did not shift out of first.

anywho
the racing starts.
about 10 cars into the 54 car field it starts raining
however, a red evo clocked the best time of the day being the 3rd car in dry weather at 49 seconds. It was 100% stock btw.

my first lap I take it easy. Not really going much, just getting the feel. Run 67 seconds.

my friend in the Gti ran a 55 but smacked two cones, each is 2 seconds, so he got a 59. When he got that I thought, damn, i'll be lucky to get below a 60

keeps raining and raining, on my next run I take a few more risks, but still playing it mostly safe. Needed to test my tires on a now fully saturated surface. Ran a 61. When I saw that time, i thought to myself, I can shave another 3 seconds if I use the throttle to steer more.

My friend with the GTi misses a gate on his next two at bats, fyi.

My third run is coming up, sitting there I notice there is a SUPER hot chick walking past my car. So I stare of course, when I hear the guy yelling at me to go. I take off with a last look at that FINE ass and of course bog the PISS out of the launch. Not sure if it was possibe to bog a svt tour in the rain, but I did it. This time i'm using the throttle to semi drift the front end coming out of corners.
noticing that i'm carrying speed alot better than before. As this time, I shifted into 2nd about 30 feet before a cone, kept my speed up thru the slalom (sp?)
but as I attempt to dodge the last of the 4 cones, my speed is too much for the rain soaked course and I have to lay on the brakes HARD. Pissed me off a bit, but oh well.
3rd run nets me a 58. Being myself, of course i'm not happy since I farked up that run and my friend technically ran a 55.

4th run comes up, my friend in his gti is doing good till a hard right, smacks a cone and gets a 58.

my 4th run I thought to myself. Well shit, its go big or go home time.
Actually launch properly, get moving around corners pretty fast. Using the throttle to steer in certian turns once again i'm carrying speed. But this time, even better than before.
Hit the part that screwed me last time, let off for a millisecond and get back on it.
Doing that worked as I was able to get past the last cone by the skin of my nuts.

Get back to the poster board, and I got a 55.702. There was another 2 seconds in the car I thought to myself. But on this day, the driver probly wasn't going to be able to extract it.

last time thru(5 attempts per car) I ride in my friends GTi, and he rides in my contour.

Riding in his car, his tires grip better. He has Falken A somethings. They are only a 20,000 mile tread life tire. So they are pretty sticky.
He was moving alot different than I was. he was using 2nd gear alot and braking alot more. And was not really steering with the throttle all that much.
it seemed like he was going a decent chunk faster than I was. His corners were cleaner.

my last with the svt.
get moving good, and I hit a fooking cone that I did not have to hit. Just one of those stupid things when you do not pay attention.
While driving I notice why it seems like his corners were cleaner. Since he wasn't quasi drifting out the front end like I was. The gforce on the corner was more, yet i'd carry more speed thru the corner making me hot on his heels.

Go thru, once again moving good, carrying speed good. Screw up a few times as expected and cross the line.
final time before the cone hit was a few thousands worse than my other run, but with the cone it was 57.

my friends final time in the gti 55.661

so I got 55.702
he got 55.661.
thought to myself, not all that bad for a newbie with a grocery getter that most people do not believe is a real SVT.

get back to the board and notice the #1 guy my class.
It was the SVT Foci running 51.9. Thought that was pretty sweet, my friend didn't beleive me when I said the SVT Foci would run with the Mini S in a handling contest.

The STi and EVO in the rain were running anywhere from 51-54 seconds.

my friend said I won the best novice time.

other cars that we beat in the competition.

a stripped 350 swapped 280z with hoosier racing slicks.
a 02 blown z06(got to ride in that bitch, BALLZ I tell you)
viper gts
srt4

the most note worthy victory was against a guy in the same class as us.
VR6 jetta
this dude came in with another set of wheels with sticky tires, car had an exhaust system, not sure if it had any suspension mods. But he was talking so damn much about racing tracks and crap. Like he was a pro or something.

and we both beat him in the end.
HA

I should stop educating people about the svt tour. So we can keep it our little secret.

damn its good that i didn't trade my tour in :)

Users who are viewing this thread