AutoX in the Shelby

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I enjoyed taking the Shelby out for it's first drag strip run a few weekends ago, and this weekend it was time for her first autocross event. I was curious to see how it would do at one of our local events that is notorious for being small and heavily "miata friendly". The bigger, higher horsepower cars don't typically fare so well at this particular location but I have to admit I was really happy with how the Shelby did out there.

There's another event at a larger location at the end of the month, so I kind of used this one as a way to blow the cobwebs out and get a feel for the car in general. I had a lot of fun and was impressed with the handling of the tires once they got warmed up. The car is completely stock and as you can tell from the videos I didn't even have to shift out of 1st gear! :lol1:

My first run of the day was 45sec and very sloppy. This was my second run and I was taking a new guy as a passenger to show him what autocrossing was all about. He owns a Mustang too and just wanted to learn what was involved in running. I have a feeling he'll be driving his car at the next event. It's always addictive.

Sorry about the poor video quality, I have yet to learn how to upload the vids and keep the same quality as the original recording. It always seems to get degraded during the process.

Run 2 on Vimeo

This was my 2nd to last run where I ended up shaving 5 sec off my initial lap time. This run was a 40.7 sec run but I know the car had a 39 in it, I just couldn't pull it off this time around. The tires stuck really well I thought. I can only imgine how they would be in hot weather. It was gray and overcast today and the tires cooled quickly. If any of you have been on the fence about running your car at an event like this, I HIGHLY recommend it! I've been off the autocross scene for about 5 years now, but it's always fun to go out and have a good time. :beer:

Run 5 on Vimeo

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
One trick pony my ass.....:beer:

Exactly! You can't really tell in the video but the shutdown area after you break the beam is really short when coming down from 65mph (I hit the rev limiter once or twice there) and the car hauled down to the required 5mph in no time. I REALLY dig how managable this car is in not only a straight line but also when tossing around corners. I mean, this is over 4000lbs being thrown around a small parkinglot at 50-60mph on stock street tires. I can't think of a WORSE environment to put a high HP heavy car in, and I thought she was a dream to drive. I can't wait to try her out at the larger location in a couple weeks. :rockon:

Whats your camera mounted to?

The first video was taken with my camera mounted to my harness bar. The second one was on a suction mount on top of my glass roof. I thought about putting it lower but I wasn't sure I wanted to risk smacking my camera with an orange cone. :lol1:

The dash mount really shows how much fun it is.

Yeah, when I first watched an autocross event I thought to myself, "Man, those cars look like they're just cruising around for a casual drive. Hell, I can do that!" But then when you get behind the wheel you find yourself saying, "Damn, screaming up to a 180 degree turn at 50mph in a parkinglot is a lot faster than I thought!" :lol:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
As Devious stated earlier in this thread, I'd say this image shows the car to be fairly well rounded. :beer:

IMG_0519_zpsaa5528dc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread