Automobile's 3 part ZL1 vs GT500 review

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
"
Editor’s note: This is the first installment of a three-part comparison test between the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500. Tomorrow, we’ll run the two cars at the drag strip to record quarter-mile times and consistency. The third installment will explore on-road behavior and render our final verdict

Alex Lloyd is a race car driver hailing from Manchester, England. He moved to America in 2006, winning the Indy Lights championship the following year. Alex has raced in two Daytona 24-hour races, earning a best finish of fifth overall, and has competed in four Indianapolis 500s. In 2010, he placed fourth in that race and won the IndyCar Series Rookie of the Year Championship"

1st installment - road course 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 - On Track - Automobile Magazine

2nd installment - drag race http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1206_2012_chevy_camaro_zl1_vs_2013_ford_shelby_gt500/

Last edited:

Filthy1

My cars are slow
Established Member
Cliff notes:

Gingerman Raceway in Michigan, 2.14 mile track

GT500 _ 1:45.21
ZL1 _ 1:44.53

Edit:

Cliff notes on drag:

GT500 _ 11.78 @ 125
ZL1 _ 12.38 @ 114.5

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The author was dropping hints at his favorite almost from the start.

Sounds like the fattest of these two pigs was the better dancer, at least at Gingerman, anyway. I'd have thought the Bilsteins would have done better.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
well congratulations camaro fans, the zl1 won by a "monumental 7 tenths of a second" can we even blink that fast? :lol1:

everyone here knows the MRC is fantastic, and that alone truly help that car around a track, so its no surprise that car is very good handling wise...quite frankly the "ancient live rear axle' as the writer stated still was able to keep that race very very close( mostly the insane amount of power)....I still take the shelby anyday of the week

all this tells me is go out and get a nice suspension setup and that gt500 will be good to go on a track, if thats what you want.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
I already can't stand the shit talking on Camaro 5 and I haven't even been over there to see it.

I've heard rumors that Motor Trend sent these two cars to Laguna Seca, and the review is going to be out June 27th. It's going to be close on that track.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Damn Magnetic Ride, congrats to the Zl1...........can't win them all boys!

I got a feeling, next years ZL1 is going to be beafed up HP, to make up for any weight disadvantage, agree?......

I am loving these HP wars!!

EDIT: why doesn't Ford have magnetic ride?!?

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
I'm curious as to how mod friendly the bilsteins are compared to the base suspension. May be a waste of money if you want to get serious about major suspension mods for race duty. But if you want the nice ride of the comfort setting then it's probably the only way to go. Doesn't matter to me as mine will be a DD with occasional (3-4 times a year) drag strip duty. Maybe a HPDE once a year.

:beer: to the ZL1. Not exactly shocked but expected more out of the GT500...

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

I got a feeling, next years ZL1 is going to be beafed up HP, to make up for any weight disadvantage, agree?......

The 2013 ZL1 will not have more power- as far as we know.

Ford doesn't have magnetic ride because it's a GM product. They did license a version of it to Ferrari, however. Why would you even ask such a question?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
We all knew the fancy underpinnings on the ZL1 would make it handle pretty good, but I think they were a bit harsh on the Gt500's handling. They did have a European testing the car, and we all know how they all basically hate the SRA, and much prefer the "sophistication" of irs.

Ford doesn't have magnetic ride because it's a GM product. They did license a version of it to Ferrari, however. Why would you even ask such a question?

Yes, it is a GM product, but was sold a few years back. Who knows what kind of special arrangement they have in place.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
That was one of the reasons I did not get the svtpp, because if i want to modify the suspension, rather do it on a base car. Chris maybe hes wondering why Ford does not make their own version of it?

also the 2013 zl1 is already being built, with a msrp increase of 300 bucks, with now the added option of getting nav on 7 inch lcd screen. No hp bumps or performance changes.

Yea im sure camaro5 will be proclaiming the 7 tenths an enormous slaughter...everyone here already knew that if the gt500 cant stretch its legs with the power, the hp difference is really nullified by a tight track race...yet it was very very close even with the "antiquated SRA"

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Top lat g's compared are 1.17 to 1.13, or a .04 difference. Yet the GT500 was running 5 mph slower around the large central u turn. Grip could not be that different to need a 5 mph difference in corner speed could it?

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member

They could put the LS9 in the car. That gets you 638HP and 604 ft/lbs.

But I doubt any more than that. Isn't the Camaro due for a new style on the 14 or 15 model?

I could be wrong.

But it does not surprise me that the Camaro did that well, however, it did surprise me that the Shelby did not handle that well with the performance package.

Scott

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Top lat g's compared are 1.17 to 1.13, or a .04 difference. Yet the GT500 was running 5 mph slower around the large central u turn. Grip could not be that different to need a 5 mph difference in corner speed could it?

Those numbers are just the absolute peak numbers they hit. They could have hit those for only .001 sec. Avg would be a much more meaningful figure.

I've driven a vette with that heads up thing, and if you jerk the wheel real quick, you can get that g meter to hit like ~1.8, but the car obviously couldn't hold that.

Last edited:

10sec5oh

Established Member
We all knew the fancy underpinnings on the ZL1 would make it handle pretty good, but I think they were a bit harsh on the Gt500's handling. They did have a European testing the car, and we all know how they all basically hate the SRA, and much prefer the "sophistication" of irs.

Yes, it is a GM product, but was sold a few years back. Who knows what kind of special arrangement they have in place.

This! Europe hates the SRA, like watching Top Gear all over again...

Filthy1

My cars are slow
Established Member
These are hero lap times for both cars though. I want to see like a 30 minute race between the two and I think the results would be much different and in favor of the GT500....

rwboring

Established Member

I don't see that happening because Gm won't put more horsepower in anything then they do the Vette, or the same exact motor for that matter. Just the way they are. Unless they up the Corvette horsepower I don't see them doing much to the ZL1.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
well congratulations camaro fans, the zl1 won by a "monumental 7 tenths of a second" can we even blink that fast? :lol1:

everyone here knows the MRC is fantastic, and that alone truly help that car around a track, so its no surprise that car is very good handling wise...quite frankly the "ancient live rear axle' as the writer stated still was able to keep that race very very close( mostly the insane amount of power)....I still take the shelby anyday of the week

all this tells me is go out and get a nice suspension setup and that gt500 will be good to go on a track, if thats what you want.

Considering all them "race car parts" they get especially brake pads that wear out in 1200 miles, that seven tenths sucks considering the 2013 GT500 will butt rape in on a drag strip. All that bull shit Al Oppenheimer spewed for 7 tenths. His letter was a white flag at the beginning.

I'm wating for owners to start complaining about the inside of their tires wearing thru to the belts in 5k miles with all the camber Gubamint Motors put in it jest for handling.

What did that turd at InsideRacing or whatever the hell it was with the driver wearing shorts say, "The GT500 watching the ZL1 sail off into the distance"? Hahahahaha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread