Autometer wideband afr gauge problem.

cfry

Established Member
I am having the same issue with my AutoMeter wideband A/F gauge. Start up and idle it shows 14.6/7. I followed the YT link in the thread. I removed the sensor, and started my car. My gauge showed 3 dashes, and never changed.

This was a new, fresh install. If I understand correct, you "should" tie the ground wire to the negative battery terminal. I have my positive wire hooked to a "switched 12V source" as directed in the instruction manual.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/autometer-wideband-afr-gauge-problem.1003426/

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Here's a link to AEM covering the issue.

http://aemelectronics.com/?q=forum/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge-reads-147-continuously
http://aemelectronics.com/?q=forum/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge-reads-147-continuously
Anytime you have weird stuff happening check the connectors to ensure they are connected and tight, you don't have any bend pins, loose wires or a broken wire.

QC on some of the new stuff out there isn't very good. I had an issue with my Aeroforce when I first got it, it would keep cycling, turned out to be one of the wires wasn't seated in the connector going into the back of the gauge. Once I fixed it, it's worked fine since.

cfry

Established Member
I'll pull the gauge tonite and investigate the plug in on the backside. I have a feeling that my install may not be "ideal", but its the best I could come up with at the time.

I know when I drove around Friday last week, I smelt something "plasticy smelling". Investigated that, and found the wiring was resting on my header tube. Insulation was melted around the 7 conductor wiring, as was 2 conductors internally. I cut that section out, and resoldered all the wiring back together.

cfry

Established Member
Could be possible that the Wideband sensor was shorted out when the wiring was resting (melted wire insulation) on my header?

I pulled the gauge out of the pod, and inspected the plug in on the backside. No bent pins or terminals, each pin has its own socket it resides in. But, stranger things have happened. If it can happen, it will happen.

Only other thing I could do in the short term is to remove the sensor and plug the bung. Then try to diagnose it at a later date. I pulled a couple of plugs, and they are covered in carbon soot (installed new 300LPH Holley in tank fuel pump, 30# injectors and BBK fuel rails) on my 07 GT/CS. Fuel pump is producing 75 psi, which throws a FRPS code, and hopefully doesnt break the small diaphragm inside it, again. All my problems started when I put the new fuel pump in. And stupid me, tossed my old stock pump out, 2 days after I installed the Holley in tank module. I could have atleast given myself piece of mind with how it runs this way....

Thankfully, I am having my car dyno tuned this friday in Columbus, OH at Dyno Tune Motorsports. I know I dont have much oooomph down low, but once she is above 3500, she hunkers down and hauls some mail! Good golly, them injectors are doing some good on the high side. :)

I just cannot seem to stop tinkering around with this. Just need to let it sit and rest until Friday. Which sucks for me, as I wanna get out and make a bit of noise and go to the local drag strip and see how she does with these new mods.

Users who are viewing this thread