Autometer Electric Oil Pressure Gauge

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
Since I have an unhealthy obsession with my oil I got one of these gauges, and need to install it now, I read this http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...electric-eng-temp-electric-gauge-install.html but did not follow it too well, I know that I need to take the stock sender out and put the new sender in its place, but then do I need to buy wires to run from the sender to the new gauge, or do I use the stock ones and pull them out of the oem gauge, can I splice into some wire behind the dash or do I need to use an add a fuse to get power, and how can I mount the gauge without an A pillar pod, I'm sorry since I'm sure these questions have been answered before but I cannot for the life of me find them

dumbstixlars

Established Member
You are going to run your own signal wire. My AM sender is actually "T'd" in with the factory sender so that both gauges work. You will want to run a fused and switched (by the ignition) 12V source to power the gauge. You can either run a pillar pod, or one of those pods that bolts up in place of the gauge trim.

Stangcobra1122

Established Member
so I need to go out and buy some length of wire, any specific gauge of wire I need or anything like that? and I read about the Ting in thing, what size T did you use

dumbstixlars

Established Member
so I need to go out and buy some length of wire, any specific gauge of wire I need or anything like that? and I read about the Ting in thing, what size T did you use

I don't have an answer for that unfortunately, the previous owner had put it on. I would use 14ga wire. That is what I normally use and have never had an issue.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I did a write up on installation for my 04 GT. I'm not sure how different it would be to the cobra but I imagine it's going to be very similar. It's pretty easy actually and for the oil pressure I had to buy 1 fitting which was a 1/4” male to 1/8” female 90 degree elbow pipe adapter (NPT) which I found at lowes.

You don't need to remove the factory sending unit. In fact I installed mine so that it wouldn't affect the stock wiring or gauge display. I would suggest the add a fuse adapters as I mention in the how to. Also for a mount if you just have 1 gauge you could get the steering column pod which holds 1 gauge. Or the pod that replaces the stock gauge cluster surround which holds 2.

Good luck!

How to: install electric oil pressure and water temperature gauge - Mustang Forums

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
The stock one is absolutely useless, especially once you have a nice aftermarket one that measures more than just > or < than 6 psi. I got some brass fittings to make a tee like many others, but its a bunch of fittings that could each leak. I've since taken out the stock sender and put the autometer one in its place, properly grounded out the stock sensor so it still reads ok on the dash for aesthetic reasons, and much cleaner with just the autometer sender there.

Users who are viewing this thread