(Autometer) Boost gauge question..

Crstfr

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
So I was able to do a bit of spirited driving over the weekend, and something that I noticed was that my Autometer gauge will hit 11, but the stock gauge stops at 8.

When I turn the car off, the gauge sets to 3 (which would in fact, make the gauge 3# off 11/8, etc)..

How in the heck do I check to make sure that the Autometer gauge is calibrated correctly?

thanks!

DNeinstadt

Established Member
Get a hand calibrator at AutoZone or borrow from a friend (Thanks Larry!) and calibrate it.

DId you cut out the factory boost gauge needle? It stops around 10...

Dan

Tambini

Established Member
my factory boost gauge goes way past 10. i thought i was hitting around 15/16 psi before i bought the autometer boost gauge. turned out im around 13, 14 on a cold night.

Crstfr

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Didn't cut the factory needle, just installed the Lunar in addition to. With the stock pullies, I didn't think I should be pulling more than 8#, which is why the 11 was confusing me.

Hand calibrator... hmmm... thanks :)

DNeinstadt

Established Member
Looks like this:
4910.jpg

Dan

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
put my autometer boost gauge a week ago and it's reading 8 pounds of boost. my car has the stock pulley,also the installation manual from autometer does not say anything about calibrating it.
I say yours must be defective from the factory.

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
If you tapped into the line behind the glovebox, undo it and see if the gauge goes back to 0. Did it read 0 before you installed it? Sounds like the line is pinched or something. Possibly a foreign object in the line maybe? If you take the boost line off at the gauge and it still reads 3#, the gauge is off. I don't know how you calibrate an Autometer boost gauge either. If there is nothing hooked up to it or the car is off, it should always read 0.

Crstfr

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
There was a line pinched originally (which is how I think it got to 3)

If everything's off, and the gauge is disconnected, it reads 3. :(

Gonna try and get it calibrated next week.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
All of the people thinking about a kinked line are probably right.

While I haven't experienced the problem you are having, while I was working on my gauge pods I did drop an Autometer ultra-lite boost/vac gauge and it rested on 3 lbs. (gauge was disconnected). Since the gauge was a beater for testing purposes, I gently rapped the side of the gauge on my bench, and each tap moved the needle back towards 0. It now is "aligned" in the proper spot, but who knows if there is permanent damage.

If you can, take rudy's advice and try to get it replaced as defective. You probably won't run into any opposition from the place you got it.

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread