automatic tranny reliability with boost?

BennyBoy

Established Member
I'm looking at 2013 GTs and I'm stuck between an auto or manual. I'm leaning towards an auto but how are te holding up to boost? I'd like to eventually make 600whp and the car has to be DD capable if I desire. Is the auto capable of living under these conditions and occasional strip use?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We make nearly 1200rwhp through the factory auto.

They can take some serious abuse. A good tune is very important (which we can do for you), at some point, you could upgrade the clutch packs, but you would be good for some time on the factory trans at 600rwhp.

BennyBoy

Established Member
Thanks man, just didn't want to limit my mods for the future. Never had an auto so I wanna try one out.

nonliberal

Established Member
Thanks man, just didn't want to limit my mods for the future. Never had an auto so I wanna try one out.

I will try to word this carefully so I don't open a can of worms with a "what is best" thread, but let's just say if your going to boost a Coyote Mustang you would have to spend money upgrading a manual transmission car before you would have to touch the Automatic tranny. Even if it's just the clutch.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I will try to word this carefully so I don't open a can of worms with a "what is best" thread, but let's just say if your going to boost a Coyote Mustang you would have to spend money upgrading a manual transmission car before you would have to touch the Automatic tranny. Even if it's just the clutch.

Translation: The manual is going to die sooner than later.

:poke:

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
just broke into the 9's on Sunday with my 13 auto ...has taken everything i could throw at it so far...no complaints here.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
2011 auto with 900+hp and all I did was upgrade to stage 1 clutches and bought a circle D converter. Still running strong.............600hp will be a walk in the park for this tranny. No need for any upgrades with that power. Auto

BennyBoy

Established Member
Haha, nice to know guys. I've had three manuals in my toys in a row, all modded and no problems. But I've been reading up and this new one seems to be temperamental compared to the old ones. Definitely going with the auto, shooting for a 10 second DD, which should be relatively easy with boost. Thanks.

grnenvy

Established Member
This is one of the best auto's ever put in a Mustang. Sorry but your completely nuts if u don't buy an auto aspecially if its going to be a 1/4 mile car. As for it's limits 600rwhp all day long no problem. One thing that is very important is the trans tune. Making sure the trans is hitting just right and not slidding into gear is very very important. I would bet some of the auto's that have had problems is because it took them a while or to long to get the trans dialed in which caused premature wear.

loud_silver_5.0

Established Member
I have to be honest I am driving a Supercharged 2011 GT Manual Trans now and I am torn on what trans to plan on putting in it next..... I enjoy driving stick around the street and I really enjoy getting the power I want when I want it butttt...... At the track I hate it, mostly because It is so hard to hook with all that power. I have auto guys telling me they are running 1.5-1.7 60ft times with just some drag radials. So in answer to your question what you get depends on what you want to do.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
This is one of the best auto's ever put in a Mustang. Sorry but your completely nuts if u don't buy an auto aspecially if its going to be a 1/4 mile car. As for it's limits 600rwhp all day long no problem. One thing that is very important is the trans tune. Making sure the trans is hitting just right and not slidding into gear is very very important. I would bet some of the auto's that have had problems is because it took them a while or to long to get the trans dialed in which caused premature wear.

What he said.. I have been in a few 6R80's that needed more line pressure with failing clutch plates in 2nd, 3rd, 4th. The Exedy kit is nice but get that line pressure up or it'll burn too. Converters are good at getting you out of the hole but they tend to mask a soft shift.

Users who are viewing this thread