Autocrossing in '96 Cobra, looking for brake advice

BlackCobra96

I'm taking my car autocrossing in a few weeks. I'm not being doing anything super competitive, but I have the factory brake shoes and rotors which have about 40K miles on them. Although the brakes seems to be working perfectly, I think I should replace them (correct me if I'm being premature). I don't want dusty, squeaky high performance pads. For the rotors, I'd like to go with something with an Aluminum hat, or at least a hat that doesn't look like ass and rust out. I also want to avoid drilled rotors if the holes do little to improve performance and start to crack. The car is more of a weekend toy and not a track warrior. Suggestions?

crazycarlo

Established Member
Stainless brake lines which reduce flex and good pads and fluid will add the most performance to your brakes.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
If you've never run your car on an autocross track before I would just see what happens without replacing the stock brakes. If the pads get messed up and mess the rotors up somehow it isn't a big deal since you're replacing them both anyways. I would go with a coated rotor so that the hat and inside veins don't start to rust. I use these: http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_172_201&products_id=787

You could also get these for the same price: http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_172_201&products_id=252
I don't think you will heat the rotors hot enough to crack them just doing autocross. Guys usually crack them doing road racing and building up a lot of heat.

I'm using these pads next time: http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=853

MARK C

Established Member
Flush out your brake fluid. I had my brakes fail on the track because of water in the brake fluid (overheated), lucky I felt them start to fade, and I exited the track. Bleed out the brake in the hotel parking lot and was good to go for racing the next day. Have a shop do a flush for you, or DIY, get some good dot 4 synthetic fluid.

BlackCobra96

Thanks for the feedback. I do have SS front brake lines, and when installed, the systems was flushed. I think I'm just going to trash the brakes that I have and replace them when done. Lot's of good suggestion here.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Stock brakes are just fine. You will be torturing your tires more than brakes. Road racing eats brakes, autocrossing eats tires...

Go there and learn. If this is you first time autocrossing, you will have a lot more on your mind than brakes.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Stock brakes are just fine. You will be torturing your tires more than brakes. Road racing eats brakes, autocrossing eats tires...

Go there and learn. If this is you first time autocrossing, you will have a lot more on your mind than brakes.

Probably the best advice.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
PFC 2 piece rotor and hat, PFC z-rated pads front and rear, stock rear rotors, and russell ss brakes lines all around. once you get heat into them the braking is phenomenal. well worth the money i spent. if you're going to do a brake job do it right the first time and spend the extra money to get quality parts.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member

This.. It's a ****ing parking lot, not Laguna Seca lol

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
yes they are. they make other similar sets for other cobra's but with different mounting brackets. just make sure you grab the correct set for your year of car.

you'll definitely feel the difference in pedal feel.

Last edited:

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the advice! As far as rotors, I heard that NAPA Reactive One rotors are the same as Raybestos. Is this true? I get a pretty kickass discount through NAPA so that would certainly help when it gets time to do brakes. My brakes are fine now, but if I want to flush the system and upgrade to stainless lines, I might as well do the whole shebang...

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. I do have SS front brake lines, and when installed, the systems was flushed. I think I'm just going to trash the brakes that I have and replace them when done. Lot's of good suggestion here.
If you already have SS front brake lines and new fluid, you are 3/4 of the way there.

Auto crossing you don't heat up your brakes very much due to lower speeds and shorter sessions. Most road racing pads work best when they get hot, thus why they squeal when cold. I suggest you try Hawk's HPS pads. They don't dust too bad and are good for street/auto-x. You also will benefit from a tire which doesn't need to heat up before becoming sticky. I would think the very expensive Michelin Pilot Sports would be a good tire for auto-x.

Users who are viewing this thread