Autocross

03rocks

Established Member
I took the new Cobra to the enduro autocross this afternoon. I'm no professional but thats exactly why I wanted to get to know the new IR suspension.
I entered in the Novice class along with 8 other people. The Cobra and I took 1st place in class with a time that was approximately 10 seconds off the pro's but 10 seconds better than the rest of the competitors in the novice class.
I found pretty much exactly what all of the mags have been sayin which is the car is steerable with the rearend in a push condition with the throttle. Talk about a good time.

The only problems I found is the street tires but I knew goin in that they were going to be a bit tricky by the third lap.

I figure with some practice and some sticky tires I should be able to turn some really competitive times and step out of the novice class.

Cheers to an awesome automobile. Ford finally gave us what we've all wanted for a long time.
:beer:

03rocks

Established Member
If your talkin about Type R's Yes. But no I was one of three mustangs but no Cobra R's.

coleman

Established Member
I did nowhere near as well as you did [at an autocross]. The 2003 Cobra is in the SS class along with Vipers and Z06s :(
But, I'm going to autocross' to have FUN and that's exactly what I had. I'll be moving into street prepared class real soon -- I'm sure I'll even to worse (competitive-wise) cuz I'll have tons more power and no better handling :p
Maybe I didn't push the car hard enought...

anyway, my in-car autocross videos can be found here:

http://www.FragFest.biz/~coleman

03rocks

Established Member
Sweet! I wish I had in car and from the sideline videos to show. It would be kewl to look back and see how out of shape I was in a few of the corners.

I pushed it hard but by the third lap I realized it wasn't doin me any good slidin all over the place. I chilled it out a little bit and cut 2 seconds off my time.

03rocks

Established Member
By the looks up it the course you were runnin was a lot tighter than the one I was on. Your comments at the end are hilarious.

anteros511

Established Member
Originally posted by 03rocks
I took the new Cobra to the enduro autocross this afternoon.
I ran the Evolution Performance Driving School course today in my 03 cobra as well!! It's mainly focused on auto x. I ran once last year for the 1st time in my 01 GT and was happy with how I did. I can only say the 03 Cobra on the auto x course was interesting and lotsa fun! I too found the F1's a little slippery for auto x'ing. None the less, the car and tires performed amazing... I'm looking forward to the next event...

Users who are viewing this thread