Autocross tire help

mtw002

Established Member
Any help would be appreciated first and foremost. I ran an event last weekend with my bfg sport comp 2s (340 wear rating). The car has Cai and mac catback. I ran in Fstreet and won my class but took 2nd in Novice with pax. Fastest car of the day not in Novice class was a full second faster. (04 Z06 w/Nt05s). I'm wanting to be a little more competitive. I'm getting ready to pull the ttiger on springs, CC plates and better tires. My question is has anyone ran the Falken 615ks or khumo xs or the Nitto NT05s? Trying to stay with the 200 utgq tire in a 275 40 17. Thanks guys in advance.
th__2.facebook_1438582439397_zpsxrcu90eh.jpg

Last edited:

wmfateam

Established Member
I would suggest the BFG Rival. It cleaned up in my area when I did autox, and my boss uses them on his SRT Challenger for open track driving. Grassroots Motorsports just did an autox tire shootout.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I ran rt615's in 2009 or 2010, they were a decidedly noticible step down from bfg kd's id been running. They lasted better though.

I've ran nt555's and they were comparable to rt615's IMO, I've ran nt05/05r setup and it was great, I'd say as good as the bfg's but I had different suspensions with each set of tires so it's hard to say.

In general, the rt615's weren't as communicative as I wanted, the bfg's just gripped and I could t really break them into a drift or 4wheel drift easy, but they were controllable.

The nt05's were great, very communicative/readable tires.

Your faster tires are going to be lower than the 200tw zone.

Toyo r888's may only last 500-2500 miles depending on your driving style/needs but will out grip most all tires. Price is good, availability is not so good

Michelin pilot sport cup 2's will stick like velcro but are expensive and prematurely wear on our cars very quickly/unevenly.

Nitto nt01's are very sticky, not as much as some others, but wear better and last decently. Some get 3-5,000 miles out of them.

For track duty, it would be a great idea to get a nice decent light weight wheel and sticky tire. Discount tire has $225-275/wheel tsw rotary forged wheels (much stronger than stock and lighter too at only19-24lbs each in 17,18,19" vs 27-35lbs factory wheels/reproductions) available with 6 month 0 interest financing. At about $1100/6mo, you're looking at $200/month. Order sticky tires like nt01's, or r888's for these, and not only will you have the sticky compound, but you'll ditch 15-25lbs+ of unsprung weight. For track day duty, even ditching 5-10lbs of unsprung weight is noticable, and anything over 20lbs is a transformative change.

Track day wheels are a great idea because they ease the dualistic use of the car, and allow you to run a long lasting 3-500wear street tire for driving/daily use/wet weather safety, and give you the ability to use a proper track tire for the track.

Last edited:

mtw002

Established Member
I would suggest the BFG Rival. It cleaned up in my area when I did autox, and my boss uses them on his SRT Challenger for open track driving. Grassroots Motorsports just did an autox tire shootout.

I couldnt find them in a 275/40/17. I would love to get them however a lot of places dont ship up here to Alaska.

Bigggy

Established Member
Also, don't get confused, the RT-615 as a new compound dues the "K" at the end now. I currently have the 615k in 315 in the back but FK453 in front (road setup, not really for autoX) and I can confirm that setup is really not so good on an ope ntrack, the front will push. As for the 615 in the back, its pretty good, but for the price, even in the street, its to pricey for the grip, I had almost the same grip with my KDW295 that was half the price.

R888 was my first choice but availability got me.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Also, don't get confused, the RT-615 as a new compound dues the "K" at the end now. I currently have the 615k in 315 in the back but FK453 in front (road setup, not really for autoX) and I can confirm that setup is really not so good on an ope ntrack, the front will push. As for the 615 in the back, its pretty good, but for the price, even in the street, its to pricey for the grip, I had almost the same grip with my KDW295 that was half the price.

Ive got r888 on the ccws i bought and I dont want them because they wear to fast. 1000 miles they are done :( Other than that they are great.

mtw002

Established Member

Well free shipping got me $840 NT05S compared to $1200 R1Rs (wanted) 615k's were about the same price shipped too... Struggles of living in Fairbanks Alaska...

:(

Users who are viewing this thread