Autocross in my 5.0

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
Here are some video's I took during the event on Sunday. This was my first time trying Autocross and it was a ton of fun and I will for sure be doing more events in the future. I figured out quickly that my tires were horrible and the surface at that location sucked as well.

MAKE SURE TO WATCH IN HD
was so excited forgot to turn in on for my first two runs..:bash:

run #3 - 41.686
[youtube_browser]bmuqx_DvzjA[/youtube_browser]

run #4 - 42.021
[youtube_browser]UYgzq5JwAqQ[/youtube_browser]

run #5 - 39.947 (finally decided to turn advance track all the way off from here out)
[youtube_browser]sFCBZwgp_JE[/youtube_browser]

run #6 - 48.886
[youtube_browser]uM5a2qiA3_E[/youtube_browser]

run #7 - 39.741
[youtube_browser]fRQ4XkBBKrg[/youtube_browser]

run #8 - 39.252
[youtube_browser]OB0syRsuea8[/youtube_browser]

ended up placing 6th in the novice class. but I did have the same times as another 5.0 who was running STX class and he has been doing this for a long time so pretty happy with my first time out.

NickSezz

Established Member
Looked great for the first time out! Keep it up man!

If you plan on doing this in the future you may want to look into a Watts Link. This will really help keep you car planted around turns and put you more in control. Your car will feel more predictable and equal whether you are turning left or right. No more "wiggle" when you hit a bump while turning either.

Let me know if you are ever interested. I can hook you up with a killer deal on one.

Whiteline Watts Link - Teamjdm.com

Laloosh

Established Member
I've done my fair share of autox (not in the 5.0 though) and you did good for your first time out. Maybe it was the angle of the camera but try to sit closer as you look like your reaching a little and you are leaving too much room btwn the tire and the inside cone. :)

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
I have been an autocrosser since 1978. I built a 65 Mustang just for autocross. I agree, it does look like you are sitting a bit far off the steering wheel. Do some research. Look at the sitting position for most sports car racing drivers. Study that and try to copy them. Thats what I did.

Your seat back should be rather vertical and support your back well. Arms out, hands on the wheel, elbows should be bent but not tucked to your body. Right hand on the shifter, I assume you have a manual, the gear selections on the up stroke of the shifter should be made with your arm well extended. Find that position with you seat fore and aft sliding and that is where you want it.

From watching you, your track through the cone looks pretty good through most of it, not bad at all. I did notice that in the sharper turns you are letting the car carry too much speed into the turn. Its tough I know. Here is something you can use if you can get control of it. Takes some practice. You need to master the fine art of throttle steer into sharp almost hairpin turns. Trust me, when you get that down, you can shave a ton of time off your runs.

As for mods to the car. Check the rules. Here is where things can get personally disappointing. When you modify, you may change classes. If you modify just slightly you may be running with guys who have modified greatly. For example and hypotheticly, lets say you put lowering springs on. Now you went from, say, stock class to Prepared class. Now you may be running with guys who have done the same mod as well as full sway bar mods, panard rods, subframes, etc.

Hope this helps. Its all a lot of fun. Last full year I campained my old 65 I was C/P class regional champion for the South Carolina Region of the SCCA.

The Snake

BOA MUSCLE

Established Member
Definitely get with Nick about the Watts link hook up. He gave me a great deal and handling is awesome!! If you have any questions I will be glad to help out.

KonaFifty

Established Member
man you guys get some speed on that course. i did an autocross a while back but the course was kind of compact, not as big as that one.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Most of the courses I run and have run are 2 laps through the cones. I prefer the ones run that way.

The Snake

attachment.php

My 65 Mustang at an autocross in Charleston SC

attachment.php

An old 1967 MGB I used to own at an autocross in Charleston SC

Last edited:

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
Looked great for the first time out! Keep it up man!

If you plan on doing this in the future you may want to look into a Watts Link. This will really help keep you car planted around turns and put you more in control. Your car will feel more predictable and equal whether you are turning left or right. No more "wiggle" when you hit a bump while turning either.

Let me know if you are ever interested. I can hook you up with a killer deal on one.

Whiteline Watts Link - Teamjdm.com

I have been thinking about getting one and you may have sold me on it.

I've done my fair share of autox (not in the 5.0 though) and you did good for your first time out. Maybe it was the angle of the camera but try to sit closer as you look like your reaching a little and you are leaving too much room btwn the tire and the inside cone. :)

Thanks for the advice!

I have been an autocrosser since 1978. I built a 65 Mustang just for autocross. I agree, it does look like you are sitting a bit far off the steering wheel. Do some research. Look at the sitting position for most sports car racing drivers. Study that and try to copy them. Thats what I did.

Your seat back should be rather vertical and support your back well. Arms out, hands on the wheel, elbows should be bent but not tucked to your body. Right hand on the shifter, I assume you have a manual, the gear selections on the up stroke of the shifter should be made with your arm well extended. Find that position with you seat fore and aft sliding and that is where you want it.

From watching you, your track through the cone looks pretty good through most of it, not bad at all. I did notice that in the sharper turns you are letting the car carry too much speed into the turn. Its tough I know. Here is something you can use if you can get control of it. Takes some practice. You need to master the fine art of throttle steer into sharp almost hairpin turns. Trust me, when you get that down, you can shave a ton of time off your runs.

As for mods to the car. Check the rules. Here is where things can get personally disappointing. When you modify, you may change classes. If you modify just slightly you may be running with guys who have modified greatly. For example and hypotheticly, lets say you put lowering springs on. Now you went from, say, stock class to Prepared class. Now you may be running with guys who have done the same mod as well as full sway bar mods, panard rods, subframes, etc.

Hope this helps. Its all a lot of fun. Last full year I campained my old 65 I was C/P class regional champion for the South Carolina Region of the SCCA.

The Snake

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I already have springs and because my tires are 275s I'm already in one of the more modified classes. I guess I will just have to get more mods to compete lol

Definitely get with Nick about the Watts link hook up. He gave me a great deal and handling is awesome!! If you have any questions I will be glad to help out.

Thanks!

man you guys get some speed on that course. i did an autocross a while back but the course was kind of compact, not as big as that one.

Yea got up to about 60 on the back straight.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread