Autocross build out for my 2003 Cobra

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
by the way, to do this again, i would not do the vents to the rear of the wheel arch, added a bunch of complexity to the finish body work because so many different angles intersect there after you flare the arch...

Wonder if you could have just tapered the fender and left a lot of the backside (cockpit facing) side of the tire exposed?

bubblehead93

Established Member
The vents i added really did not drive any compromises with the fender flare, with or without them, the flare would have been essentially the same, it just added much more finish work due to the larger area impacted by the metal-work... getting it all smooth and straight around the vents was involved...

bubblehead93

Established Member
always spray your base coast on a test panel before spraying the car. just saying, I had a piece of white card board that I had hit with primer sealer (same as fenders) and then sprayed with a test of base coat. Looked like a match. Not so much. The fenders have brand new Zinc Yellow and rest of the car has 20 year old Zinc Yellow. Since I rarely correct/polish the paint I had hoped that getting down to some fresh clear coat on the rest of the car would lighten the old base/clear coat to match the new... no dice... good enough to go racing for now... this winter I'll take some 320 grit to the fenders, primer/sealer it, and lay down new base/clear coat... alot of first for me in this project... flaring fenders,

bubblehead93

Established Member
573EB83A-0D7B-41F8-B2D6-92672747A95A.jpeg

Tomorrow finally get around to setting toe and bump steer…

Santiago

Established Member
Looks good came out great good job on the labor work I think every time you work on your own car the work always comes out better lol

bubblehead93

Established Member
The board and the hammer dolly are just meant to put a little pressure on the rig...

It is amazing to me that the difference in bumpsteer, keeping less than 0.020" change in toe per inch, between the first and the last was a delta of 0.135" in spacers...

Started with a 0.48" spacer and gradually added in 0.03" and 0.06" increments to see how it responded... ended with 0.615" to get the final bumpsteer curve.

I might fiddle with a bit more tonight before moving on to the Passenger's side...

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
argghhhh... auto-x event I've been thrashing to be ready for on the 23rd just got canceled due to a mix-up in venue scheduling... no venue.... no auto-x... argghhh
That's terrible. Don't slow down, I'm dying to see the finished product!

Sent from my Potato

bubblehead93

Established Member
all the alignment and bumpsteer adjustment complete... took some lash out of the rack while i was at it... -2.3 camber, +7.5 caster, and 0.5 toe out with SAT bumpsteer verified between +2.5" bump and -1.5" droop... now, just need an event not to get cancelled...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread