Autocross and stall converter?

MEANSVT

Established Member
Ok i recently purchased a lightning and the previous owner entent was drag racing and since thats about all there is to do in kansas i was fine with it. But now im moving back to CA and will only be living like 15 mins from the fastest track in the west willow springs. So id like to be able to run it ocasionally on open track days on the smaller course streets of willow. So my question is should i be worried about the stall heating up at all? id also like to run some autocross events which would be much slower any concerns there. I plan on getting a panhard bar full TVS system an pulling back the boost as it has way to much for what i want to do with it. I know i could just get a car but i think it would be cool to run the truck out there and i really love the truck and don't want to sell it and i think it could hold it's own.:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
It will depend on how hard you drive the truck and how high of a stall it is.

Drive the truck hard (higher RPM's) with a lower stall should be fine. Drive the truck "nicely" (lower RPM's) with a higher stall and it could overheat I suppose. Also with autocross, the short run time with long periods of time in between should keep you cool enough anyways.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I don't think I'd wanna drive a stalled Lightning on an autocross course. My dad had a stalled Lightning, and I didn't even like its manners on the street.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I don't think I'd wanna drive a stalled Lightning on an autocross course. My dad had a stalled Lightning, and I didn't even like its manners on the street.
What kind of stall does he have and can you go into detail on it's street manners? I am planning to get one. Id like to get some pros and cons.:??:

MEANSVT

Established Member
What kind of stall does he have and can you go into detail on it's street manners? I am planning to get one. Id like to get some pros and cons.:??:

I know my truck does'nt really want to move when your crusing around town and then once you get over 2400 rpm's it throws you in your seat. id rather have no stall but the truck came with it and it's good for drag racing which previous owner built the truck for.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
id also like to run some autocross events which would be much slower any concerns there.

2400 stall in a MB tranny. I never even thought twice about having a higher stall converter on an autocross track.

Stewart

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
My dad had a stalled Lightning, and I didn't even like its manners on the street.

I'm so used to my truck being the norm, that when I drive my buddy's truck with a stock stall, I can't stand how "tight" it feels.

To me, the stock stall gives me the impression it leaves a lot of power on the table because of the lower stall.

It feels weird driving a L with a stock stall.

Stewart

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Thanks mean.

Lets say i get a 2600 or 2800 stall. I know when i am going 70mph, rpms are around 2k in o/d. Will that change? I'm think if i get a stall, driving in the rain will suck. I guess once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
Thanks mean.

Lets say i get a 2600 or 2800 stall. I know when i am going 70mph, rpms are around 2k in o/d. Will that change? I'm think if i get a stall, driving in the rain will suck. I guess once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

You'll retain lock-up: cruising RPMs remain the same.
Rain doesn't change anything.
Actually you can launch softer with the stall so it's easier in the rain than a stocker.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member

What's not to like?
It's one of my favorite mods and I've never had the truck at the drag strip. Street only.
If you're concerned about the stall during AutoX events write a program to lock the torque converter at a low speed, that way it stays locked during the events. You can do this on your street program as well, if you hate the stall so much.

noahdr

Established Member
My 26-2800 stall has VERY good street manners. You would barely notice it during normal everyday driving. It is more difficuilt to launch on the street (tires keep spinning) but it just takes practice. Great mod IMO

Users who are viewing this thread