autocad as a military job?

clbailey

Established Member
That in the Air Force in the Aircraft Maintenance side, would be more along the lines of Metals tech, the little brother of my job, sheetmetal/lo. Im sure theres something along the same lines in the CE civil engineers side. Those guys are like the base plumbers/road fixers/construction/street sweepers/heavy equipment operators/ red horse etc..

The metals tech guys get to mess around with CNC's, waterjets, mills,lathes, welding, heat treaters.

On my side, I fab up parts outa stock sheetmetal then throw it their way for final tuning, be it heat treating or some crazy shit they do.

Last edited:

kennycoulter

Established Member
airforce is what my friends have told me: more "engineering" type jobs.

this is good to hear, that some jobs actually exist.

do you work with autocad?
are you reserves or active?
i like the idea of working on planes.
i am in my last semester right now, with most of my current classes dealing with civil engineering/surveying with some mechanical engineering.
my internship is with a machine shop.

did you get to choose this job, or were you placed in it?
did you attend school for autocad or have any previous experience?

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
i believe that Civil Engineering would be the only career field that you would work with CAD and even then it would be minamal. We pay to have contractors do that fancy drawing shit. Even our Engineers contract the CAD work out.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
i believe that Civil Engineering would be the only career field that you would work with CAD and even then it would be minamal. We pay to have contractors do that fancy drawing shit. Even our Engineers contract the CAD work out.

+1. My sister's fiance is a civil engineer in the Air Force and he said he doesn't do any CAD at all. Have you try looking at Coast Guard?

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
im really trying to think about this. Ill ask some of my engineers tomorrow and see what i can find out. Ill get back to ya.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Army Corps of Engineers?

US Army Corps of Engineers - HQ

id imagine though that if they are subbing out their drawings, that your best bet is air force, and get into aerospace engineering.

are you looking to get into the military, or just get into any drafting field in particular? Maybe look for an entry level no-training computer literate drafting position on your local job boards. I saw and interviewed for a few (i have self-taught CAD experience from my last job) so its out there. Never got them though, they always went in looking for entry level, and wound up finding super experienced guys willing to take entry level pay.

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Im active, stationed at Langley AFB Va, Ive worked on F-15s and currently work on the 22. I picked about 6 different jobs but got 2a7x3 aircraft structures mechanic and went to school at NAS Pensacola for about 4 months. Currently I have another afsc "mos" 2a755 which is Low Observables Stealth Systems Maintainer, painting/sheetmetal/fab on the f-22. And no, I currently do not do any cad. Honestly a contractor job with someone like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, etc... looks like a better chance for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread