Auto-Xing the 03 Snake!!

SVTyballz

Established Member
First time doin an autocross event. Ran 1:05.??, 1:03.09, 1:03.11. The results haven't been posted on the site yet, but I 'm somewhere in the top third I think. I'm still learning the limits of this car, but I think I have a ways to go. The car was eating up everything I threw at it. They run another autoX course that has a long backstretch and some room to get out of 2nd gear, the Cobra should like that even better. Oh well, here's some links to the pics.

http://www.pcafcr.org/autocross/images/aug042002/multimedia-autocross-08042002.htm

http://www.pcafcr.org/autocross/images/aug042002/P0002035.jpg

http://www.pcafcr.org/autocross/images/aug042002/P0002035.jpg

gary

kino

Established Member
Good to see! Let me ask you something. Now I hate to have to use a mag for this but they (Car&Driver and Sports Car international) said the car is awesome for autocross events. SCI in particular really liked it. How is the handling really so far on it and what would you think are its strengths and weakness?

SVTyballz

Established Member
In my opinion, I would have to agree with them. But, the layout of the course might make a difference. The car handled great on the tight twisties that I was on Sunday, but I think it would show more of it's abilities if there are some longer sweeping turns and some longer transitions. That being said, the car handles so neutral. You are able to feel what the rear end is going to do, which is totally opposite of my solid axle GT. That car would throw it's rear end around at the blink of an eye. The Cobra is very predictable. Powering out of the turns is awesome. Late braking is handled with ease. I still need to find it's outer limits. But when you hit a turn perfectly.......... WOW, what a great feeling!! You can kinda "fling" it around like a smaller car. Wherever you point it, it follows. BTW, with my 240# big ass in it, the car tips the scales at around 4000. Which, in my opinion is the only weakness. It is still a heavy car, no matter how well they make it, it still weighs A LOT. And the laws of physics can't be changed to compensate for that. If I can get a roll bar installed before next month, I will be able to drive at Roebling Road ( http://www.roeblingroad.com/images/roeblingair.jpg ) in Georgia next month. Ill have more to report if that happens. There is an event at Sebring also next month.

gary

Last edited:

kino

Established Member
I see. Hey appreciate the info their. Autocrossing is something I would love to learn how to do. I'll have to look more into it. :beer:

ZXnVS

Established Member
I was glad to see your post, because I guess I'm something of an oddball in the Mustang world: someone who is more interested in how the car drives around a course than in how fast it goes in a straight line for 1320 feet.

Have you put any mods on your car yet? I'm planning to have the KB Extreme Matrix system installed, which I'm hoping will make the handling even better.

How are the classes broken down in autocross? Do they group cars be weight, power, or what?

Please keep us posted on your autocross experiences.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
wow looks like you have a pretty cool pca region there...

The butt heads in my region don't want people bringing non porsche cars to events...

Some of them in fact are so bad as they would like to exclude some of us poor people that turn our own wrenches as well...

Cudos to Fla. Region

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
I was glad to see your post, because I guess I'm something of an oddball in the Mustang world: someone who is more interested in how the car drives around a course than in how fast it goes in a straight line for 1320 feet.

Have you put any mods on your car yet? I'm planning to have the KB Extreme Matrix system installed, which I'm hoping will make the handling even better

I have the Maximum Motorsports full-length subframe connectors on. You might want to look into them. I have had the KB subs on other mustangs and I think that the MM's are better. They are heavy gauge pieces, alot of welding required, but worth it IMHO. Other than that, i have a Dynomax catback and K&N on the car.

How are the classes broken down in autocross? Do they group cars be weight, power, or what?

Check out www.scca.org The event I did last weekend wasn't broken down into classes. It was run by the regional Porsche club. They determined a winner by the lowest differential in 3 timed runs.

Please keep us posted on your autocross experiences.

gary

Last edited:

Reelman

Established Member
I've finally gotten over my Ferrari fixation, upon delivery of my Torch Red vert. These cars are amazing! I am going with the MM subframe connectors on your recommendation. Judging from the pics of your cornering, I might suggest a little more air pressure. In my old SCCA/Cal Club racing/autocrossing/hillclimbing days, we were able to make a car over/under/neutral steer by jacking the front/rear tire pressures, and it probably wouldn't hurt to stiffen your sidewalls a little. Let us know if this helps.

amermuscle

Established Member
Why did SVT decide to give the vert softer springs? DOes it have to do with how the car rides? Can you swap them without anyone knowing (ie dealer)?

ZXnVS

Established Member
I've wondered that, too. The unibody platform the Mustang uses is apparently not overly stiff, so I wonder if they feared the vert's body would flex with the stiffer springs of the coupe... Just a hypothesis.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Reelman: I'm gonna try some air pressure adjustments next time. This time I basically drove to jacksonville (90 miles) went through the tech line, and drove it as hard as I could. Got whipped up on by the trailered Porsche autoX setup 911's. But oh well. I put the top down turned the music up and drove home !!! hhehehe

Blue...., Amer....,ZX: I'm looking into getting the coupe springs and shocks/struts installed. Still looking for a valid Ford part number for the front springs. Have all the other numbers already. The only thing im not sure about is if the ride height would be affected by using the coupe package on my vert. On the other hand, the Maximum Motorsports Coil-Over kit looks mighty nice.............1500.00 nice???? sure why not huh?!?!?!?1

Vintage: This crown region group is a bunch of pretty cool people. I had a great time with them. It's my friend (number 76 in the pics) that is the member.

gary

Users who are viewing this thread