Auto transmisson gurus here!!

rezcobra

Established Member
What would it take to make a six speed auto from the new Explorer work in older F150s like 04/05 or even the 97 thru 03 F150s. It sounds like its stout auto cause it'll be in the new Adrenaline with the 390hp/390torque engine. Better low end performance but also better gas milege being the main objective. Instead of running 3:73 or 4:10 rear gears you could run 3:55s or lower to match the first gear of the six speed. Your expert opinions!!

rezcobra

Established Member
So you're saying the computor from a 3v Explorer would run the 5.4/4.6 2Vs from the 97-03 era trucks? Or would it be easier to run a piggyback chip on whatever computor the vehicle might have?

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
Im not really sure. I guessed you have to do something with the computer. Maybe its real simple :shrug:

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
The wiring harness and computer are different.I am a ford master tech, and I think it would be very involved as the systems have changed in the last several years. Even the test cables we use are different from 03 to 04.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
CSCOBRA03 said:
The wiring harness and computer are different.I am a ford master tech, and I think it would be very involved as the systems have changed in the last several years. Even the test cables we use are different from 03 to 04.
what is a master tech?

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Torque converter specs might be different (lockup or non-lockup, triple clutch or double, thickness of back-plating;for heat dissipation), and I'm sure Powertrain Controle Module (it should be part of the ECM). You might have to run new cooling lines because of changed locations (or just put a larger external cooler for better cooling). You might need a new rear tranny mount (where it mounts on the sub-frame) because of different tranny lengths??? The linkage should mate-up, but make sure it's perfect so it's never in-between engagements.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
For $2-3k you can have your current trans built to the moon which will still be less than the other junk

rezcobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replys and input. Some food for thought! If you have a 2003 Lightning transmission with a 2.71 first gear ratio and a 4.10 rear end you would end up with an 11.11 final drive. Now take the new 6 speed which has a 4.17 first gear you would need a 2.66 rear end ratio to keep it at a final drive of 11.11 like the Lightning with a 4.10 axle gears. But the 6th gear would net a final ration of 1.83 as opposed to the Lightnings 4th OD at 2.91 with 4.10 gears. That is a hell of a good launch gears but also extremely good gas milege in 6th gear. I'm sure someone will make the 6 speed very reliable for performance use. But with the thousands of older vehicles there's the possibilities to upgrade with a 6 speed for better launch and better gas mileage.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I'm not sure if the Navigator tranny is different, but that might be a more suitable 6 speed, especially since the base block is a 5.4.

Even if the tranny is the same, you'd probably have a better converter and bellhousing assembly for the job. :thumbsup:

rezcobra

Established Member
05 Roush said:
I'm not sure if the Navigator tranny is different, but that might be a more suitable 6 speed, especially since the base block is a 5.4.

Even if the tranny is the same, you'd probably have a better converter and bellhousing assembly for the job. :thumbsup:

Yeah it would be nice to find a complete powertrain and swap it into my current 02 F150! Ebay! Might be easier, something to check out. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread