auto transmission guys

Bradleypro

Established Member
Looking to do an auto swap to the coyote before the mt82 blows so I can recover some of my money by selling mt82. What auto trans are you guys running and where is the cheapest place to get one? Not really into the whole powerglide scene. 4r70ws I hear a few bad things about so I'm lost. Also my build is almost finished putting ysi on my car. Looking to be around 900rwhp as soon as tuner thorws new pulley on ysi and finish tune.

4VFTW

Established Member
what is the purpose of the car? if its a weekend/track toy...minimal to zero highway cruiser than a built 3 speed is an option, but a C4 would be my last choice. If this is a DD or something you "NEED" to drive often then I would look at a upgraded 6r80 or other o/d auto.

Bradleypro

Established Member
I like the idea of a c4 but haven't found many kits. I drive it maybe two times a week. Would like overdrive. Just looking to see what everyone is running.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
These 6r80's are amazing transmissions, literally drive like stock with a stall and upgrades. I would say the 6r80 does really good at around 1,000rwhp and below. Anything more might want to look into a glide.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
These 6r80's are amazing transmissions, literally drive like stock with a stall and upgrades. I would say the 6r80 does really good at around 1,000rwhp and below. Anything more might want to look into a glide.

i havent heard of any problems with built 6r80s

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Did not mention anything about problems. Seems that the 2 gears in the glide work out better in cars over 1k then a 6r80.

466roller

Established Member
6r80 all the way, IMO it makes no sense to go any other route, except it may be "easier". If you want it near bullet proof, upgrade the clutches and steels and the intermediate shaft.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
I'm doing a 6R80 swap now. Gathering parts and grabbing the trans tues or weds. If I wasn't going 6R80, I'd look into a powerglide with an OD unit. Heard some good things about them.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Depends on how you want to go about it. Stock ECU swap or stand alone? I'm waiting for the stand alone setup PA is supposed to be releasing soon.

I would say parts for the ECU swap would include: 6R80, converter, flexplate, shifter and cable(center console?), the right ECU, wiring harness, trans cooler(stock or aftermarket) and cooler lines(stock or braided). After all is said and done you had to have the tuning done to communicate with your car and whatever re-learn or pats updated that would be needed.

With the stand alone swap I'm getting all the basics together now until I figure out what I need with the stand alone. Have the trans and TC coming, shifter, cable, flexplate, cooler lines and cooler are next. I won't worry about electronics until the controller is released.

4VFTW

Established Member
Right. They use it on the cobra jet right? Must be good for something. Anyone know anyone up here running a c4?
they probably use it because it would be extremely bad PR to put a GM transmission in your factory Ford race car. A C4 will require much more frequent rebuilding at that power level compared to a TH400/Glide/6r80 , but the Cobra Jet has an entire Fortune 500 company behind it to keep the tranny fresh....how about you?

scotmach

Established Member
The Cobra Jet isn't street legal and built only for the dragstrip so the C4 is fine for that. But for a car that's driven on the street and the track the 6R80 has proven itself plenty by now.

Users who are viewing this thread