Auto trans?

Lawrenzo

Established Member
The factory is/was thinking about doing this. I participated in a Ford sponsored marketing study a couple years ago where this was the specific topic. They basically wanted to know if it would change or even tarnish the image of the Shelby brand. They also wanted to get our opinions if Ford were to carve out Shelby as a totally seperate brand similar to how SRT has been out pulled out of Dodge/Chrysler.

Perhaps an automatic transmission is planned for the next Cobra, Boss, Shelby, whatever??

boosted281

Established Member
DepWraith thank you for posting first lol, I too would like an auto with a big converter but feared the tomato throwing if I asked. Any experience or advice is appreciated here guys and please keep me posted if your find anything out.

DepWraith

Established Member
DepWraith thank you for posting first lol, I too would like an auto with a big converter but feared the tomato throwing if I asked. Any experience or advice is appreciated here guys and please keep me posted if your find anything out.

Throw all they want, I like drag racing and have yet to see anyone shift faster than an auto, lol.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
plenty of 07-12 cars have had them done

4r70w is a popular choice, I bet Freddie Brown could set you up.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, FB is the guy to talk to for AOD/4R70W.
Aren't the new 6 speed autos turning out to be very tough? I though I saw a guy in the 8s with one in a blown coyote GT?
-J

boosted281

Established Member
Yeah the 6r80 and the new 5.0 magazine just showed up tonight and has at least 2 cars in The King of the Street with built Circle D 6r80's with their converters making big power and running damn fast!! This is my hope for an auto swap!

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
A well setup auto and elimination of the clutch protection programming and the '13 would be a seriously badass strip car.
S.

Lawrenzo

Established Member
A well setup auto and elimination of the clutch protection programming and the '13 would be a seriously badass strip car.
S.

1Fast400 on the ViperAlley has an auto in his Gen 3 Viper, and as you know it's killer fast. As I said in my earlier post I wouldn't be surprised to see a factory automatic in the car very soon.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I know VMP posted up on there FB page they were swapping in a TCI GM 6 speed auto into there shop 2013 GT500 havent seen any thing more on it that was a few months ago.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Checked on having a auto put in mine and a rough est was $8k, so I passed.

I can see that easily if doing it from scratch.
The take-off stock parts are worth a good bit of the swap cost though, and if you really wanted to do it economically, finding an auto GT guy to swap with would be the way to do it.
I was a hardcore stick guy with my LX, reached my goal of running a 9 with a true street manual trans on drag radials, but at the end of the day, it now has a built AOD. A built auto is best for big power and reliability.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread