Auto to T-56 swap Questions(ECU)

klayton21

Established Member
Okay so I have a 2001 GT and I am swaping my Auto to a T-56 6 speed. My questions are:

Do I need to buy a new ECU? OR can the stock GT ECU work with the 6 speed. I dont think it will but if I do buy a new ECU will it need to be an 03/04Cobra ECU or a Manual GT ECU?

Curently have a 10 spline in the tranny should I upgrade to a 26 spline before the swap or no?

Thanks,
Klayton

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Your ECU will work fine. You just need to make the computer think its in neutral, that way it doesnt throw any codes when the car is driving down the road. Another reason for that is it wont start unless its sees you are in park or neutral, and some ECUs wont send info to the speedo if it thinks its in park (this is a generalization and may or may not be true for the 01 gt).

Several things you will want to keep in mind is that you will need to set up the reverse lock-out system on the t56 to make sure you dont throw it into reverse when you are trying to go into 5th. Another thing is the speed sensor for the ecu, Im not sure if the auto and manual sensor plug is the same and therefor may need some wiring harness modification. Lastly, new manual trans vehicles have safety switches that dont allow the car to start without pressing in the clutch. Since your car will not require that, you need to be careful not to start the car in gear or it will jump forward (I did it many times in my old jeep lol). You can set up a system yourself just for safety if you want.

klayton21

Established Member
Thank you for your response I will keep all of these things in mind. Will my ECU just need to be flashed? And can a tuner set this up so it will not throw any codes while driving?

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
ECU doesnt need to be flashed, you just need to mess with the autos wiring harness to the ecu thinks the transmission is in neutral. A google search may bring up a schematic for you. I havent done this swap on an '01 so I cant tell you exactly which wires to mess with, but like I said there should be plenty of schematics online to show you exactly what to do with the wires.

Users who are viewing this thread