Auto Swapped Cobras TH400 vs 4R70W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosestang

Established Member
Anyone running a TH400 with 3.08 gears and a 28" tall tire? How's it working for you?

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think 4r's are pretty stout, and one could be made to handle 7-800whp without too much of a problem. My buddy has a mvb 4r in his gt, making 660whp with an unlocked converter, and it's basically stock with a rebuild and a tailshaft lube modification. Not much done to it at all and it's taking the power great.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I have a 4r and love it right now I don't make a lot of power but its built to handle 700-800 HP. Ryan on Hpj site makes around 1200 rwhp and he runs a 4r. Goodluck

Blackedout

Established Member
4r70 here from Freddy Brown (fb performance) OD was a definite for me... BEST MOD EVER... :beer:

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
One of the best mods Ive ever done to any car Ive ever owned:

2011-05-23_19-34-03_360.jpg

Proformance TH400 with Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive.
About $6500 for everything (trans, Bell, Cooler, GV, Lines, Flexplate)

Bulletproof and plain stupid fun to drive. Cruise at highway speed with 4:10's at around 2800rpm

99 GT vert

Established Member
thanks for all the input guys i am still having a hard time figuring out which to go with but i an leaning more towards a mvb 4r since it has over drive, just hope it will have what it takes to handle the power i want to put to it in the next couple years

itSSlow98

Established Member
My buddy has broken his built 4r70 three times in the past year at 720rwhp. You couldnt pay me to put one of those junk trans in my car. TH400 or 4l80 are going to be the best and most reliable high hp autos for street cars.

99 GT vert

Established Member
My buddy has broken his built 4r70 three times in the past year at 720rwhp. You couldnt pay me to put one of those junk trans in my car. TH400 or 4l80 are going to be the best and most reliable high hp autos for street cars.

what all was upgraded in his trans? and what ended up breaking?

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Who built that one? For the money to do a 1000hp 4r70 you could do a 4l80 though from what ive researched.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member

In my opinion, you're wasting your time if anyone other than Fred brown is building it. He's the master of the 4R!

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
In my opinion, you're wasting your time if anyone other than Fred brown is building it. He's the master of the 4R!

this is the only 4r comment i agree with if you do get one FB is the best. Depending on the year 4r is what needs to be upgraded OP and the obvious other parts that warp and the snap rings and such i build them to handle 700hp fine depending one loads as well matters PD blower vs turbo diffrent stress levels

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
he needs someone else to build it, here is one on ryan's car with over 1000rwhp and has been in car for a year...sorry don't know to embed..

TTSaleen Dyno Competition Mustang Week 2013 Battle at the Beach 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine - YouTube

not to bash but that car barley looks like it has even made a pass down a track. put some real tires behind it and run it hard. Then i bet we wont see it last very long. the key to the longevity is keep you foot out of it or never hook lol.. unless hes out every weekend with it then id say the couple times he is and not hooking on the road would help also.

Stanger00

Established Member
I run a 4r and I wouldn't trust it to hold up over 800 hp with repeated abuse at the track. I'm only running 600hp at the tire but I have no serious track time with it. I would rather stick with a proven platform for repeat track abuse. FWIW Darrin built my 4r75w last year. The TH400 doesn't seem like a real deal breaker if you can turn 70 at 2800 with the right tire and gear. The non locking converter might be a PITD though.

99 GT vert

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys just got off the phone with fred brown and made up my mind probably going to order one of his 4r70w's next week

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
not to bash but that car barley looks like it has even made a pass down a track. put some real tires behind it and run it hard. Then i bet we wont see it last very long. the key to the longevity is keep you foot out of it or never hook lol.. unless hes out every weekend with it then id say the couple times he is and not hooking on the road would help also.

it competed in 5.0 mag king of the street a few years ago and he beats it pretty good, but I understand what you mean he isn't at the strip every weekend leaving off the transbrake..

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I have a built 4l80e from houghes performance sitting in my garage. I am makeing over 1,000 to the tires through the t-56. I also have some precision 6262's BB and billet that are going on the same time the Trans is. Every thing hopefully will be installed with in a month. I have nothing but great things to say about hughes performance good prices free shipping to my door. But we will see shortly how well it will hold up.

Blackedout

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys just got off the phone with fred brown and made up my mind probably going to order one of his 4r70w's next week

LOL... same happened here... 1st call told him what I was doing...2nd call ordered.... Great place to deal with... :beer:

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
good luck with it. have fun youll love the auto :beer:
it competed in 5.0 mag king of the street a few years ago and he beats it pretty good, but I understand what you mean he isn't at the strip every weekend leaving off the transbrake..

yeah thats what i ment i broke mine on the street though :bash: 830hp my 3rd burnt up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread