Auto Swap Problems-Please Help!!!!

perezer79

Established Member
Just swapped in a 4r70w. I installed everything to spec and put in the fluid. I've only added 10qts. I can turn the car on, but when I go to shift the car into gear, only the shifter moves. Yes, the shifter cable is attached to trans. I can see a small change in rpm but the transmission does not actually go into gear. It is a stock 4r70w with the stock tq converter. I tried to add another qt of tranny fluid bc the manual says 13.9qts for complete fill and now I have a leak from the trans pan gasket. Plesse help, any help is greatly appreciated.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Where did you get the trans? Are you sure the TQ converter is completely pushed on the input shaft?

03Steve

Established Member
Make sure the shift linkage is tight and the lever on the transmission is actually moving. Auto or manual PCM?

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Also check the shift link lever on the trans, There is up to 13 different levers on the 4r70w. All have different geometry. ask me how I know lol.

perezer79

Established Member
Where did you get the trans? Are you sure the TQ converter is completely pushed on the input shaft?

Pretty sure it is pushed in all the way, bc I wouldn't have been able to bolt it to the flex plate or bolt the tranny to the engine.

Make sure the shift linkage is tight and the lever on the transmission is actually moving. Auto or manual PCM?

Auto PCM. Linkage is tight.

Also check the shift link lever on the trans, There is up to 13 different levers on the 4r70w. All have different geometry. ask me how I know lol.

13? I think I have it correct. How would I figure that out?

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Where did you get the trans from? It needs to from a v8 mustang! If its from a truck or van or even some v6 cars you must change the lever on the trans case.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Then you should have the correct lever. You need to put the car up in the air and go through the gears manually,unhook the shift cable, make sure its going in all the gears by hand. Do you have a munual valve body?

perezer79

Established Member
I will give that a try. I also think I might unbolt everything to make sure the convertor is properly seated. It should be, everything went together smoothly. Only thing that worries me is a trans pan leak when I was adding the 11th quart of fluid. That's telling me there was too much pressure in there, so I hope I didn't "F" up the pump.

Users who are viewing this thread