Auto ordnance 1911

blueovalfan

Established Member
My birthday is coming up next month so I stopped into my local gun shop. I live in a small town and this pop gun shop has been around a long time so I'd like to purchase from him. He has an Auto Ordnance 1911 in the case for 65x which from what I've seen online is high priced, comes with a case and I think 1 mag. I have heard horror stories about AO before kahr took over but have read a few decent reviews and was wondering what you guys thought about it. For his price range though I could probably get a Springfield Armory GI 1911 somewhere else so.....He also had a Glock 22 with a case and 3 mags for 499 which seems like the better deal. This would be my first gun but I have shot an AR-15, 357, and have hunted geese and pheasant with borrowed 12GA shotguns so I'm a newb who has shot a few times before. Really looking for reliability and ease of use with some fun at the range in mind for whatever I end up getting, no carry.

Last edited:

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
I own a glock 22 and a 1911(although mine is made by Remington)

if your going to go with a 1911 step up and get a name brand. Probably going to cost over a G but well worth it.

I bought the glock as my first gun and 500 is about right for it. It's a great first gun, simple, reliable and inexpensive. I'd go with the glock personally for your situation.

blueovalfan

Established Member
I like the Glock but love the 1911's, the history, the look, they're just awesome pieces of US history. How do you like your Remington 1911?

EDIT-After doing more reading on the AO 1911 quality seems to be really hit or miss and I won't gamble on that. Even the "good" ones had to have some adjusting to be right, and at this point that type of work is above my skill level. Its between the Glock 22 and the Springfield GI 1911 now but I'd be open to other suggestions.

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
How about a Para Ordnance 1911 they can be had brand new under $700 and they are made in Charlotte NC i do believe. I shot one several times and they have never skipped a beat and they feel like a real gun should IMO, not all plasticy and tupperware like.

cotchnobra

Established Member
I picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911 awhile ago and I love it. It may not be a Kimber but it has worked flawlessly for me. My buddy also has the same one and loves it.

blueovalfan

Established Member
I've seen a few Rock Island 1911's in some of the gun threads on here, I'll have to check into those and also the Para 1911's. Thanks guys.

txyaloo

Established Member
At $500, that Glock be below the MAP price. They also usually only come with 2 mags. The blue box Glocks come with 3, buy they're supposed to be for LE/MIL/First responders only.

If you join GSSF, you can get that same Glock for $425. Springfield is also having a special on the XD right now. You can get an XD with two mags, plus a coupon for 3 additional free mags and a mag holder/holster for around $410. Right now, that price is hard to beat.

In your price range, if you want a 1911, I would go with a Rock Island Tactical for under $500. Spend $250 more and you can have a decent Springfield Loaded Range Officer.

cotchnobra

Established Member
At $500, that Glock be below the MAP price. They also usually only come with 2 mags. The blue box Glocks come with 3, buy they're supposed to be for LE/MIL/First responders only.

If you join GSSF, you can get that same Glock for $425. Springfield is also having a special on the XD right now. You can get an XD with two mags, plus a coupon for 3 additional free mags and a mag holder/holster for around $410. Right now, that price is hard to beat.

In your price range, if you want a 1911, I would go with a Rock Island Tactical for under $500. Spend $250 more and you can have a decent Springfield Loaded Range Officer.

I wish I was in Texas! Here in Maryland for any gun put a $100+ on top of any price you see in Texas. It sucks. Even if I see a good price on the ineternet by the time I have it shipped and pay the $100 dollar transfer fee at any of the FFL's it isn't a good deal anymore. I just need to get my FFL so I don't have to deal with the BS.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I wish I was in Texas! Here in Maryland for any gun put a $100+ on top of any price you see in Texas. It sucks. Even if I see a good price on the ineternet by the time I have it shipped and pay the $100 dollar transfer fee at any of the FFL's it isn't a good deal anymore. I just need to get my FFL so I don't have to deal with the BS.

$100 xfer fee?? Holy shit I got pissed when my ffl raised it from $20 to $25. God I'm glad i left MD for good.

txyaloo

Established Member

You think having your FFL won't cause you to deal with any BS? You may want to reevaluate that... Also, if you're planning on running it out of your home, you better check your zoning. That's what'll **** you.

If you're paying $100 for transfers, you need to look elsewhere. I just looked on Gunbroker and found plenty of dealers willing to do transfers for $25-45. Most retail gun shops are going to charge more for a transfer because they want you to buy their inventory.

Also, if you want a Glock, join GSSF. That $425 is a mandatory price that any dealer participating in the GSSF program must honor. I'm too lazy to go look at the Glock MAP list, but I'm pretty sure dealer cost on a 22 is $475 with MAP at around $530. At the end of the day, you'd save about $25 going with GSSF after paying the fee to join.

Users who are viewing this thread