auto or manual

Would you order a 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto?

• manual

Votes: 93 61.6%
  • auto

Votes: 58 38.4%

• Total voters

kevinp

Established Member
Shifting a 6-speed really isn't hard work. ;-)

Mustang302R.gif

It is when you are texting your crew and racin, yo :rockon:

GTtoSVT

Established Member
Ha! I just traded my 135i 6speed BMW for an AUTO Kona GT and I love it! :D

You really cant lose with either choice.. I have had 10 stick mustangs so I needed a change.

Brian

I just sold my E92 M3 with a MANUAL transmission, no Starbucks in that thing :)

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Ive been a manual guy my whole life but having driven my dads 500hp auto 91 coupe I can say IMO the auto is more fun to drive in a straight line (track or street). Being auto you dont have to worry about hitting your shifts just right or anything, you can just hold on and enjoy the ride. That's why if my new job offer pans out I will be looking for a low mile used 2011 auto GT.

texaswrx

Established Member
I can say that I do miss shifting at time, and the connection with the car. I do not plan on road course use at this time. I just sold the 08 STi, and that car was my road course toy.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Personal preference. And it's about time we are able to say that as Mustang enthusiasts. Personally, I enjoy a manual, so that's what I got. Since you don't take a performance hit with the automatic anymore, I say get whatever you like best and have fun with it. If you aren't buying the car to enjoy it, then go get a Prius and leave some more gas for me.

And since we are teasing one another about BMW's, for me, this car replaced my 330i (And also my cobra..which was rotting in the garage). I won't begrudge a BMW owner his car though, I loved that 330, it was just time for something different.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
Just like owning a Beamer is personal preference. I personally would never own one or a Mercedes for that matter. And money is not the issue. Just not my sort of gig. I do get cut off be at least 2 a day here in the DC area though! Lol. Anyway I like the manual and that's what I'm ordering. I'm sure they're fun either way.

jmatero

Established Member
With THIS happening to so many owners now... Including me... I wish I got the Auto:

[ame=http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52991]WWW.S197FORUM.COM[/ame]

kevinp

Established Member
Personal preference. And it's about time we are able to say that as Mustang enthusiasts. Personally, I enjoy a manual, so that's what I got. Since you don't take a performance hit with the automatic anymore, I say get whatever you like best and have fun with it. If you aren't buying the car to enjoy it, then go get a Prius and leave some more gas for me.

And since we are teasing one another about BMW's, for me, this car replaced my 330i (And also my cobra..which was rotting in the garage). I won't begrudge a BMW owner his car though, I loved that 330, it was just time for something different.

Deep down most agree that its just personal preference, its just one of those topics like the street car/race car debate that will never end. I buy a car to do certain things, since this 2011 GT is going to get a PD blower and drag raced more than road raced I decided not to do the clutch and driveline dance of owning a high powered stick shift car - been there many times. If I was keeping the car to bolt ons, road racing, autocrossing or spending a lot of time on the highway fooling around I would buy a manual.

I liked the M3, I'm in no way a BMW person, my wife talked me into buying the thing, it was great car and very well built an engineered. I just didnt really appreciate the whole M3 mystique I guess. I have a lot more fun with the Mustang and I dont sweat when I leave it parked in a mall parking lot as much.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Deep down most agree that its just personal preference, its just one of those topics like the street car/race car debate that will never end. I buy a car to do certain things, since this 2011 GT is going to get a PD blower and drag raced more than road raced I decided not to do the clutch and driveline dance of owning a high powered stick shift car - been there many times. If I was keeping the car to bolt ons, road racing, autocrossing or spending a lot of time on the highway fooling around I would buy a manual.

I liked the M3, I'm in no way a BMW person, my wife talked me into buying the thing, it was great car and very well built an engineered. I just didnt really appreciate the whole M3 mystique I guess. I have a lot more fun with the Mustang and I dont sweat when I leave it parked in a mall parking lot as much.

Now perhaps, but back in the old 5.0 days the AOD car was a total dog. I think you are right though, it really just depends on your use case. Or, if you are like my friend, and have a bad knee...lol.

kevinp

Established Member
Now perhaps, but back in the old 5.0 days the AOD car was a total dog. I think you are right though, it really just depends on your use case. Or, if you are like my friend, and have a bad knee...lol.

I dont think anything on earth was slower than my 97 GT with an auto lol. One of the few cars I didnt waste my time even trying to modify, i have no idea why I bought that thing, I gave it to my wife to drive and even she complained about it being a dog. She had a 95 GTS manual trans previously.

But to be honest the '11 'feels' like a dog with an auto, as do most cars stock. But the ETs tell a different story on these, IMO if the trans holds up an auto just lends itself better to dragstrip use. When you change something it doesnt take 20 passe to figure out if what you did made a positive or negative change, Plus its way easier on the whole driveline.

No doubt the manual car is more fun, and of course you are much more of a real man if you can powershift your way to glory (I prefer to do that with other people's cars though) or road race the car. I've driven paddle shifter auto c6 vettes and they are ho-hum on a winding mountain road too, but I've driven a DCT BMW on those same roads and that the ticket right there - too bad nothing like that is available yet on these. A GT500 with a real DCT trans would kick ass, but I'm sure that would be a cost and warranty nightmare for Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread