Audiophiles, I need your help

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I have an older 7.1 Gigaworks computer speaker system that I got a while ago for my gaming rig. I have since gotten rid of that machine and have been using laptops since.

I really only wanna use em to play music in my room. I can hook em up via a m/m 3.5mm cable but it only plays as 2.1. I can get a USB sound card but it's only gonna play in 5.1. The amp is in the sub so everything plugs into it. There's a 4 into 3 cord for the front, side, rear and center/sub channels.

Problem is I can't find any sort of adapter to get those 3 cables into USB and still play in 7.1 digital.

My only thoughts are try a home theater receiver but then the only access I'll have to my music is my ipod and I'd prefer not to go that route since it holds less than half my library. My other option seems to be to get a cheap desktop but that seems like an expensive way to go.

txyaloo

Established Member
I have an older 7.1 Gigaworks computer speaker system that I got a while ago for my gaming rig. I have since gotten rid of that machine and have been using laptops since.

I really only wanna use em to play music in my room. I can hook em up via a m/m 3.5mm cable but it only plays as 2.1. I can get a USB sound card but it's only gonna play in 5.1. The amp is in the sub so everything plugs into it. There's a 4 into 3 cord for the front, side, rear and center/sub channels.

Problem is I can't find any sort of adapter to get those 3 cables into USB and still play in 7.1 digital.

My only thoughts are try a home theater receiver but then the only access I'll have to my music is my ipod and I'd prefer not to go that route since it holds less than half my library. My other option seems to be to get a cheap desktop but that seems like an expensive way to go.

My laptop has a factory adapter that gives it a S/PDIF out port. It passes straight PCM or DTS signals. You may want to check in to that. I use it to connect to my AVR and it plays fine.

txyaloo

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread