Audio Experts Please help. Looking for Mach 460 Stereo Upgrade

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Audio experts please help. I'm looking to upgrade the stereo in my cobra. I needed Ipod connectivity so I eneded up purchasing an Alpine 9884 head unit. I had Best Buy install it and I'm not happy with the sound. The first time they hooked it up, it had zero bass. They worked on it again and now I have bass, but it is kind of muddy and not very clear. I have the settings on full treble and full bass just to get it to sound a little better. The fader control won't turn down the rear speakers so I really wonder how they have this thing wired up. I called Crutchfield and they claim that all I need is their wiring harness and instructions and my stereo will sound great. I was happy with the way the stock system sounded, but not with the Alpine unit. What is the cheapest way to make my system sound good. I don't want to drop big change and replace everything. I want the Alpine head unit to sound good. What are you guys running for stereo systems? Any help would be appreciated.

Lance

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I been waiting to put my deck too, but everytime I have drop in a alpine into any car the stock system always sounded better. I don't know how they could of screw it up but sounds like they did. Plus if they hook it up right you should be able to adjust balance/volume to the speakers. My plan was to install a alpine in the car and hear how much difference it makes, then decide if I'm going to put my seperates in there. Like I said alpine are some of the best signal to ratio decks out there, doesn't make sense. I think they messed something up. Maybe they mismatch the + - wires, plus you also said your treble and bass are max, Your speakers should be screaming for mercy. I know the back speakers have amps so until I install mine and look at the wiring I'm not 100 percent sure. Good luck, but a word of advice do it yourself next time.

Last edited:

Alocatelli

Established Member
Audio experts please help. I'm looking to upgrade the stereo in my cobra. I needed Ipod connectivity so I eneded up purchasing an Alpine 9884 head unit. I had Best Buy install it and I'm not happy with the sound. The first time they hooked it up, it had zero bass. They worked on it again and now I have bass, but it is kind of muddy and not very clear. I have the settings on full treble and full bass just to get it to sound a little better. The fader control won't turn down the rear speakers so I really wonder how they have this thing wired up. I called Crutchfield and they claim that all I need is their wiring harness and instructions and my stereo will sound great. I was happy with the way the stock system sounded, but not with the Alpine unit. What is the cheapest way to make my system sound good. I don't want to drop big change and replace everything. I want the Alpine head unit to sound good. What are you guys running for stereo systems? Any help would be appreciated.

Lance

I am running the Kenwood DNX-7100 in my car. From what I found, there is no pre made wiring harness that will allow you to just install an aftermarket deck and use your factory amps. They may make a small harness for hooking up to the power but I think that is it. I had to splice into the wires for the tweeters (front and back) to have my headunit power them and then since the woofers are run by the amps, you have to disconnect them from the amps and splice the woofer wires into the tweeter wires in series to get sound out of both. My sound is also lacking a lot of the midbass and cleaner low end that it had with the factory amps and deck. The best thing you can do IMO is remove the factory amps (which can't be used) and run aftermarket amps and component speakers in the factory locations and I think that should solve the problem. I am going to be doing that next, but I do realize it is a lot of work. Figured I would post a pic of how the unit looks in the dash and of my custom background.

l_772c506c3ee9c5702d1ed385c7533ba2.jpg

l_6aea27bff68fefafa9e4c01886a69f3b.jpg

Last edited:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
They do make a harness that works in our cars. I had to use the same harness when I did the system in my Lincoln LS. They have a very similar setup. Best Buy probably rigged it or hooked it up wrong. Unfortunately, the best way for a good sound is yanking all the MACH stereo and starting from scratch. I have my system designed. Just waiting for available funds... Anyway, you need the scosche harness for a FORD's premium stereo. Don't remember the model number.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
There are a couple harnesses for the premium sound in Fords. You want to make sure you get the correct one, only one will plug into the square plug behind the radio. I dont remember the model number off the top of my head but most places will sell you the wrong amp integration harness, so make sure you talk to someone who is familiar with our Mach system. The Kenwood looks great, I have been looking at the same one minus the nav.

There is no reason there should be any change in sound because when you change the deck and use the proper harness the speakers are still being ran off the factory amp under ther rear deck. I really hope they didn't bypass the amp.

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
When i had my 99 i had a BITCH of a time trying to put an 03 radio into it. I had to use step down transformers and seperate amp power wires and it still never really worked perfectly. I'm looking at putting a jensen headunit in my 01 soon so i PRAY it works without having to put 10+ hours trying to troubleshoot the system like i did before

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
There are a couple harnesses for the premium sound in Fords. You want to make sure you get the correct one, only one will plug into the square plug behind the radio. I dont remember the model number off the top of my head but most places will sell you the wrong amp integration harness, so make sure you talk to someone who is familiar with our Mach system. The Kenwood looks great, I have been looking at the same one minus the nav.

There is no reason there should be any change in sound because when you change the deck and use the proper harness the speakers are still being ran off the factory amp under ther rear deck. I really hope they didn't bypass the amp.

+65,000 on this. I had the Mach460 in my 95 and when I took it to circuit shitty they had to put what they called a "matching harness" in it in order to hook up my kenwood head unit and EQ. Once they got it done everything worked and I did NOT have to replace my amps. sounded much better too.

I had a Mach 1000 in my 02 GT convertible. NOTHING sounded better than that LOL! I could go 90 with the top down and hear the music as if I were standing still. talk radio was even clear ... i LOVED that shit. bad thing was the subs took what little space was left over after the top got it's space LOL!

I am torn about what to do about my 04 now. The stereo is ok for driving around town with the top down but get it out on the highway with the top down and it sucks ass. VERY disappointed in that. just don't know which way I am going to take it yet.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Good looking out, sounds like it ain't going to be too easy though, looking to change mine out soon too.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Well, I finally have the unit sounding good. I ordered the harness from Crutchfield and compared it and it's instructions to the one Best Buy installed. Turned out, Best Buy pluged the rear amp RCA plugs into the Front Speakers and not the Subwoofer jacks on the back of the Alpine unit. I fixed it and it sounds great now. I also had an annoying buzzing sound coming from the rear speakers with the new and old stereo. I had Best Buy install a Ground isolator for $20 and the buzzing is gone. I'm a much happier man now.

Lance

Users who are viewing this thread