Audi B5 S4 Help

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Well I've been all over the internet looking for help on my Audi and they're old enough now that it's hard to find reliable information. I was hoping some of my SVT brethren might be able to help me with an ongoing problem I've been having with my 2000 S4.

I bought it from my buddy who was not too mechanically inclined. He sold it to me real cheap because it would run like crap when it was cold and would never get full boost. He had taken it to an Audi dealership that said they fixed the problem, $2 grand later and the next day it was doing it again. Well when I got it I figured out the boost problems were a couple of bad vacuum lines and a cracked intake boot. No problem, but I can't seem to figure out the cold start issue. Here's a list of what I've done:

Replaced:
O2 sensors (all 4)
EGT Sensor
Coil packs (all 6)
Coolant Temp Sensor
Ignition Control Modules (both)
Spark plugs
MAF sensor
IAT sensor
Fuel Pressure regulator
Fuel Filter
Intercoolers :banana: (just for more power)
All intake piping except factory Y-pipe

The issue seems to get worse the colder the outside temp is, or it may just be getting worse period and it just happened to be getting cold also :shrug:
When I start it cold it will barely run and stumbles all over the place. It smells like it's running really rich, I can smell fuel. If I shut it off and restart it seems to help, but after a few seconds it will begin stumbling bad again.

After a couple minutes of this it will settle into a stable idle but as soon as I press on the gas a little it stumbles really bad. It will continue to miss and sputter as I drive through the gears until I get above 2000 rpms. Once I get above 2k it starts to boost and it runs fine, but once I come back down it will still do it again. Shifting 1st-2nd is the worst.

The symptoms slowly go away as the car gets warmer and once the car is all the way warmed up it runs like a raped ape (might be faster than my Shelby).

I have a scanner and have looked at all the sensors I know to watch and everything is fine. If I really try to push it when it's still cold it will throw a check engine light but it is just "random multiple misfires". So it doesn't tell me shit. I was just wondering if any of you guys in all your car experience have run across this? :beer:

2000ZincGT

Banned
sounds like you might have a fuel injector that is getting stuck open, I used to have a b5 s4 but never had this problem. I would run a can of BG 44k through the system.

Mr Incredible

Established Member
I'll try that. I had one that broke, so I replaced it and pulled the rest of them and cleaned them by hand yesterday, but who knows what's going on with the inside. The thing about that is, I have been monitoring the individual cylinders for misfire and it alternates randomly, it's not the same cylinder as if something like and injector or coil pack is bad.

tnuce10

Established Member
Try looking around on Audizine.com

Back when I had my B6 A4 there was a lot of S4 info on that site. Not sure how it is now, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
if you didnt get it for FREE then take it to the junkyard. that car is a pile of shit.

if your dead set on driving it, check your injector pulse width, check fuel flow and finally take it to the junkyard. your wasting your time and money ****ing with that piece of shit.
oh and its def not faster than your shelby. saw one with a set of K04's on a 100 hit get buttraped by a 2.9 cobra about 2 weeks ago.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wish I could help. I hear these cars have so many problems around the 100k mark. TT awd sounds like a super fun car but I dont have the money to to fix one if it breaks.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
if you didnt get it for FREE then take it to the junkyard. that car is a pile of shit.

if your dead set on driving it, check your injector pulse width, check fuel flow and finally take it to the junkyard. your wasting your time and money ****ing with that piece of shit.
oh and its def not faster than your shelby. saw one with a set of K04's on a 100 hit get buttraped by a 2.9 cobra about 2 weeks ago.

He "pile of shit" will run circles around your "track car" every day of the week in every venue. Sweet hood pins, bro. :bored:

OP - go over to Audizine. They tend to pretty knowledgeable with the B5's, or at least more than the Vortex. There are some smart dudes on here too NefMoto - Index.

Good luck, I still miss my B5 S4. :beer:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
He "pile of shit" will run circles around your "track car" every day of the week in every venue. Sweet hood pins, bro. :bored:

OP - go over to Audizine. They tend to pretty knowledgeable with the B5's, or at least more than the Vortex. There are some smart dudes on here too NefMoto - Index.

Good luck, I still miss my B5 S4. :beer:

would love to see it. VIR is close enough, care to do a little on track spirited driving with said "hood pinned" "track car" car in your 700whp shelby?

and please name every venue? i didnt know "running rough" was a venue...

oh and if you have a problem with my hood pins, go drive a 05-09 car without them at 100+ and let me know how it goes cleaning the shit outta your undergarments when it pops up and destroys your windshield/roof and possibly your life. you dont want any of that crap on a track, be safe.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
back to the topic - OP, check the resistance of the injector pulse width using a noid light. a buddy had a stock one a while back and ended up replacing the injector harness due to high resistance. only thing his was opposite symptoms of yours, would run like crap in warm weather and great as it got colder.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Post up your issue on audirevolution.net

It's a smaller forum that has a lot of technical guys that can figure out things like this. Even an engineer for SVT who writes tunes for Audi's on the side, and a few Audi techs!

tnuce10

Established Member
OP...these cars aren't nearly as bad as some people make them seem.

Just find a good Audi tech who knows his shit and you'll have a great DD!

By the way, what color is it? Fingers crossed for Nogaro Blue

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
i've heard that they have issues too around 100k miles...

But s4's are the shit, not a piece of one. If anything they are too good, lol. I saw a Top Gear episode comparing s4's to m3's and they had trouble trying to get the s4 to get off its rails. I'd love an a4 or a s4 a DD one day, just would prefer one with a warranty.

Mr Incredible

Established Member
OP...these cars aren't nearly as bad as some people make them seem.

Just find a good Audi tech who knows his shit and you'll have a great DD!

By the way, what color is it? Fingers crossed for Nogaro Blue

I wish it was Nogaro. It's just black.

Finding a good Audi tech seems to be one of my issue around here. Unfortunately even the closest Audi dealership is three hours away.

Thanks for all the ideas on the sites. I've been all over Audizine with no luck but I'll check out the other sites.

Just in terms of an update. My "random multiple misfires" code has turned into cylinders 1, 3, 5, & 6 pretty consistently. Cylinders 2 & 4 have no misfires at all. I'll start swapping components from 2 or 4 over to the other cylinders to try to narrow down what is causing the misfire. I am reading articles about the injectors that came with the Stage 3 AWE fueling kit causing issues. They are called Green Giant injectors, they are 440cc.

kevinatfms: If switching the components doesn't switch the misfire then I'll check the harness. That would make a lot of sense. One of my biggest problems I'm running into is that due to the underhood heat all of the wires are very brittle. I'm afraid to even try to move some of the harnesses from their current shape. I snapped my IAT wires right in half the other day just trying to reroute them. :nonono:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you replace the EGT sensors with brand new ones from Audi?

I had a ton of misfire problems with my B5 S4 when I bought it, they all went away as soon as I coded out the EGT's in the tune, even though it wasn't throwing any codes for a bad EGT sensor. Just food for thought.

tnuce10

Established Member
Have you thought about just calling a reputable Audi shop and talking to them?

AWE
ECS
BBM

If they can't help or don't want to maybe they can recommend someone who would be knowledgeable enough to give advice over the phone.

I may have missed this...but if you plan on modding it or using aftermarket parts...I recommend avoiding APR like the plague. Feel free to PM me and I can elaborate as to why

Last edited:

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Did you replace the EGT sensors with brand new ones from Audi?

I had a ton of misfire problems with my B5 S4 when I bought it, they all went away as soon as I coded out the EGT's in the tune, even though it wasn't throwing any codes for a bad EGT sensor. Just food for thought.

These were done by an Audi dealership at the beginning of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread