Attn Snover: How they transported the SR71 to Area 51

george.arnold

Established Member
I hope this hasn't been posted yet, but I thought you guys may enjoy this.

'Great story, wish I could have been in that area to see the move, would have been a sight to see in 1962. Enjoy the the story & pictures.

This is a 'two cups of coffee' review. What a task -- moving the SR-71 from Burbank to Area 51 without anyone knowing about it.

Great article, even better photos. No small task! It gives you a small clue to how expensive just one phase of the program was and the measures taken to maintain its secrecy.

The secret convey that moved the A-12 (Pre SR71 Blackbird) from Burbank, CA to Area 51 for flight testing.

http://www.roadrunnersinternationale.com/transporting_the_a-12.html

Remember, commercial airliners were still flying the Connie in 1961!'

EDIT: Link is fixed! Sorry, copy and paste got the best of me.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The link doesn't work, now I'm freaking out!

I have read about the move, but I have never been able to find any pictures of it.

I hope this hasn't been posted yet, but I thought you guys may enjoy this.

'Great story, wish I could have been in that area to see the move, would have been a sight to see in 1962. Enjoy the the story & pictures.

This is a 'two cups of coffee' review. What a task -- moving the SR-71 from Burbank to Area 51 without anyone knowing about it.

Great article, even better photos. No small task! It gives you a small clue to how expensive just one phase of the program was and the measures taken to maintain its secrecy.

The secret convey that moved the A-12 (Pre SR71 Blackbird) from Burbank, CA to Area 51 for flight testing.

http://www.roadrunnersinternationale..._the_a-12.html

Remember, commercial airliners were still flying the Connie in 1961!'

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, I found the site. It looks like a great collection of historical data on my favorite aircraft. Thanks for posting this up, george.arnold!

Coiled03

Established Member
Please fix the link. I'm a fellow avid fan of the SR-71.

UncleDan

Established Member
Wow. I thought the SR71 was designed and built at Area 51 but I guess they did just the testing end of it there.

Marc

Established Member
I was active duty when this plane was still flying. Man, talk about something freaking amazing to watch fly. Thing is bad ass. They have one in the museum here on base. The plane is practially 1 big fuel tank.

svtaddict

Established Member
They have one here at the march air museum. Im always in aww when i look at it. Its got cool engine covers wich are red with the skunkworks skunk on them haha.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
The thing that amazes me about this plane is that is actually leaks fuel when on the ground and the fuel cells or whatever expand with altitude and speed I believe, sealing up the leaks. Cool shit. I also read you could throw a match in a puddle of the fuel they use and it wouldn't ignite....

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
sr71_blackbird13_zpsd47f480f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread