Attn: Shadetree Mechanics and Mower Expoerts

CM5878

Established Member
I've spent way too many hours trying to fix this damn torsion spring, but I've replaced every single part of the mower chute door assembly and there is absolutely no torsion whatsoever. When I turn the mower on, the door flops open instead of staying shut. I know it has something to do with the torsion spring, but if one end of the spring goes thru the hole on the chute door, where does the other side of the spring need to sit? I've attached a few pics for reference.

20150419_145745_zpstap68dwn.jpg

20150419_145801_zpsfjq9nhij.jpg

20150419_145824_zpsrca0opuv.jpg

4a7191a

Established Member
I had a license plate on my old beat up mower once. It worked and you can bend it up if needed. Lol. Maybe I could of spray painted it so it would of been less noticeable .... But it's a mower. . . :)

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Is there another piece that goes through the two bolt holes? You may need to slide the center pin to the right and with needle nose and wind the spring to apply pre-tension against the mower where it isn't flopping. Looks like a bracket isn't shown that the left side of the spring attaches to so it's hard to say.

CM5878

Established Member
Yes there is a bracket which bolts to the mower and the rod goes thru the bracket and then the spring. When you say wind the spring could you elaborate? You can only twist these stupid things so far.

Is there another piece that goes through the two bolt holes? You may need to slide the center pin to the right and with needle nose and wind the spring to apply pre-tension against the mower where it isn't flopping. Looks like a bracket isn't shown that the left side of the spring attaches to so it's hard to say.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Looks to me like that arm on the left side of the spring should go under the peice of broken plastic at the top. In the last pic

Last edited:

CM5878

Established Member
Any other takers or ideas? If I can get a screenshot of how exactly this spring needs to be positioned, that would be awesome.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
In the last picture, the part of the spring on the left side is to be pulled out(there will be resistance, but it is how it is supposed to be) towards the motor and is to rest on top of the blade case where the two holes are in the first pic. I'll get a pic of my mower which has this exact same slot setup as you(down to the spring and everything.

Hopefully you have that zinc plated bracket still.
IMG_1802_zpsnsitlnov.jpg

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'll send a picture of my mower when I get home. From what I'm seeing, you aren't showing the part that attaches to the deck, only showing the cover. If that's the case, I'm betting the part that attaches to the deck has a hole for that spring to provide tension.

Edit: ^ I was beat :(

CM5878

Established Member
I swear I need a video for this. With the mower facing me, I tried pulling the one end of the spring towards me, but every time the spring shot back. Gave up after 20 mins.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I swear I need a video for this. With the mower facing me, I tried pulling the one end of the spring towards me, but every time the spring shot back. Gave up after 20 mins.

This is gravy dude. Look very hard at post #9 and you'll see that brass looking mount. Do you have that? If so, then you need to remove the pin/spring on the cover and then reinstall the pin/spring with the mount in place on the cover so it's one unit. When you attach the mount back to the deck, the L shaped part will rest on the deck. If you don't have the mount, then you're SOL until you do.

Going to snap pictures of my dirty ass mower so you have an idea on what to do if this doesn't make sense.

Edit: The reason I'm assuming you don't have the mount is because you have the cross pin/spring installed without it (3rd pic in the OP).

Pics:
2015-04-21%202_zpse3mry86g.jpg

2015-04-21%201_zpsafngegoc.jpg

2015-04-21_zps8vwitxf2.jpg

Last edited:

CM5878

Established Member
I do have the mount, it just wasnt in the picture. When you say the L shaped part will rest on the deck, how did you make it so the spring remains without moving from the time its in your hand until you mount the bracket back to the mower?

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I do have the mount, it just wasnt in the picture. When you say the L shaped part will rest on the deck, how did you make it so the spring remains without moving from the time its in your hand until you mount the bracket back to the mower?

Okay then. Now reattach as my pictures show and go mow your damn yard!

Users who are viewing this thread