ATTN LEOS: Question about physical Qualifications

31Charlie

My freakin car is crushed
Established Member
Hey Im thinking about becoming an LEO when I graduate. Im close to my AA in (CJ) and then Ill go for my Bacholers. Although Ive become kind of conscerend no one will give me a job. Im in great shape, Im a pretty sharp guy. I know I can handle the work, and I have the typical Military background but here is my big problem:

I want to go Federal, but it seems every agency requires normal colorvision. yet I am red/green colorblind. I can see color just find, the only thing that trips me up is that stupid dot test with the numbers.

This sucks because my whole life I have been disqualified for things. I wanted to be a helo pilot but couldnt do that so I tried infantry but they wouldnt let me in either (although I got 11B qualified 3 years into my military career).

So are they talking complete colorblindness or am I still screwed, also does anyone know here of any agencies or departments that dont descriminate against unlucky SOBs like myself?

31C

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Wow. I've got the same problem, 31Charlie. I just had a shady recruiter who got me into the airborne infantry anyway. Haha. I hear you on the helo pilot part, though... That was my plan as well.

Anyway, when I got out I was looking into this as well. My father is a LEO, as are most of our friends... They all said it really shouldn't be a problem. But who knows, I never really looked much deeper into it. So that doesn't really help ya. Thought it was funny to read a paragraph from someone else that I could have typed, though...

Groovyash

Established Member
I too am red/green colorblind...at least to the extent that I cannot pass the standard (Ishitara) test. This is the one you've most likely failed, and is the most common used test wherein numbers are written in colored dots inside a circle filled with other colored dots. It is intentionally difficult, and does not necessarily reflect real color vision. When applying for police jobs, I had discovered most departments stipulated normal color vision, and when tested would use this test. I eventually went to a doctor and had them perform the more in depth Farnsworth test where you place groups of colors together and in order from brightest to darkest. After doing this I had them certify that I had normal, functional color vision, and keep this on file in case I ever plan on transferring departments.

Best,
Dan

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
Well, I'm sorry for jacking this thread but I'm just borrowing it....also I apologize for my ignorance. How does that work? With being color blind? What do you see when something is supposed to be red or green? And when driving, do you just memorize the position of what light is on. Again, sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand....you can have the thread back, lol!

-Mike

Groovyash

Established Member
SALEENstang96 said:
Well, I'm sorry for jacking this thread but I'm just borrowing it....also I apologize for my ignorance. How does that work? With being color blind? What do you see when something is supposed to be red or green? And when driving, do you just memorize the position of what light is on. Again, sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand....you can have the thread back, lol!

-Mike

While there are some people who are completely color blind...that is, they see no color whatsoever, they are an extreme minority, whereas common color deficiency is much more common. There is no problem recognizing the difference between red and green individually, nor in recognizing shades of them. The problem occurs when patterns of red and green are combined...differentiating becomes difficult. You can get an idea with online tests like this
Again, this type of test although excellent in determining colorblindness is not a particularly good way of evaluating practical color vision...In reality I have never run into anything I could not recognize as red or green, aside from the ishihara test.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread