Attn: 03 Guys with Cold Air Kits

01 TB Cobra

Established Member
In the newest 5.0 Mag they have an article on cold air kits for the 03's. In the article there is a picture of the stock 03 air filter "box" with a huge snorkel that eliminates the air silencer. I think us 99-01 N/A guys could use these as an alternative to cold air kits. I am not a huge fan of K&N's and really cannot use them due to the high levels of rail dust in the air where I work. Does anyone out there have their factory airbox that is in NEW condition, for a reasonable price? Email me at [email protected] if you would like to sell yours.

Thanks,
Russell

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Umm, I'm quite certain there is no difference between the GTs, Cobras or any later SN95 air-box + snorkel.

????

If there is, hell, I'll sell you mine. Had it all of a week.

01 TB Cobra

Established Member
The picture I am talking about is on page 172 in the May 2003 issue. Can someone with an 03 take a look and see if that is the airbox your car came with? Thanks----Russell

01 TB Cobra

Established Member
Rail Dust = Tiny bits of metal crap in the air from all the trains near where I work. K&N's do not filter this out. I have used both (K&N and Paper) with the paper filter when I change my oil its still a light amber, and with the K&N it was MUCH darker, and thats proof enough for me. I drive my Cobra to work occasionally, but most of the time I ride with my wife since we work at the same place. ;-)

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
There is a difference in the two set-up's. I have a DenseCharger on both my 2000 GT and my 2003 Cobra - hence, I also have the stock airbox kicking around my garage in a box. When I took my Cobra airbox off, I compared it to the GT airbox, and the snorkle is much bigger on the stock Cobra set-up.... FWIW

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
There is a difference in the two set-up's. I have a DenseCharger on both my 2000 GT and my 2003 Cobra - hence, I also have the stock airbox kicking around my garage in a box. When I took my Cobra airbox off, I compared it to the GT airbox, and the snorkle is much bigger on the stock Cobra set-up.... FWIW

We also have a 2000GT and I compared them as well. There is not MUCH difference at all. Without double checking I believe the Cobra one has some sort of "line" going along the outside and a very minor shape difference but it's not significantly different or larger.

01 TB Cobra

Established Member
0k Z20What how much do you want for the Airbox? I wasnt planning on spending more than $20 shipped. Its not like this was worth anything to anyone before I mentioned it lol.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by 01 TB Cobra
Rail Dust = Tiny bits of metal crap in the air from all the trains near where I work. K&N's do not filter this out. I have used both (K&N and Paper) with the paper filter when I change my oil its still a light amber, and with the K&N it was MUCH darker, and thats proof enough for me. I drive my Cobra to work occasionally, but most of the time I ride with my wife since we work at the same place. ;-)

Uhhh, wouldn't this means the K&N is catching MORE than the paper filter?:shrug:

oldracer

Established Member
Yea.......I would think that the darker the filter the more garbage it's catching..........I'd stick with the K&N........

Oldracer
Redfire Cobra

cwa175

Established Member
Not for nothing but have you ever thought of what your lungs are filtering. I would go with a move and then the K & N

01 TB Cobra

Established Member
No Man, what I meant was the ENGINE'S oil is a lot darker when I used the K&N. That told me that the K&N was letting more dirt through than the paper filter. Its only my opinion, but thats just what I believe, not saying its gospel.

Last edited:

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
01 TB Cobra , i am with ya ,it doesn't sound like the k&n is doing too good a job does it?......i will keep looking....

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Here are a few pics that show the larger snorkel opening on the Cobra setup vs. the GT:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
One from the top, it was hard to get them propped up because of the angle cut at the bottom, but you should get the idea:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by Z20WHAT
We also have a 2000GT and I compared them as well. There is not MUCH difference at all. Without double checking I believe the Cobra one has some sort of "line" going along the outside and a very minor shape difference but it's not significantly different or larger.

Here is inside width:

GT inside opening - 2 3/4"
Cobra inside opening - 3 1/2"

There is a 3/4" larger pipe on the Cobra then the 2000 GT - that is indeed quite a bit!

Silver 03 Cobra

DD2000 is right. I still have the snorkel from my 01 Cobra and i laid my 03 beside it in storage and that's when I noticed how much bigger it is. The hole in the fender will be smaller on the 99/01.

01 TB Cobra

Established Member
Ok so the air filter housing (Air Box) is the exact same size, its the snorkel only thats larger? Judging by that pic, it looks to me like the inlets to the air box are the same size. BTW thanks for checking up on that so quick and posting pics.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by 01 TB Cobra
Ok so the air filter housing (Air Box) is the exact same size, its the snorkel only thats larger? Judging by that pic, it looks to me like the inlets to the air box are the same size. BTW thanks for checking up on that so quick and posting pics.

Yep - airboxes are the same size, but the good part is they are plently large enough. It is the snorkel that is pulling air from your fender well that is the bottleneck, so in this case more is better.

Not a problem with the response and pics - that is what makes messageboards so great - and this site is one of the better ones I have been on. (Also - I just wanted to prove I was right on the Cobra being a larger diameter :-D ) I know SEVERAL people have helped me out on issues or thoughts. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread