Attic Fans

CM5878

Established Member
i own a 1400 sq ft home in NJ, which is a 2 level home with an attic. Im interested in a solar powered attic fan, but is the extra cost offset my real operating savings? If not, I will just go the electric route.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i own a 1400 sq ft home in NJ, which is a 2 level home with an attic. Im interested in a solar powered attic fan, but is the extra cost offset my real operating savings? If not, I will just go the electric route.

just installed a new one in my attic. a thermostat controlled one. it was about $100. the solars were $200+
if you plan to run it non-stop, set it at a low temp, then solar might be a good idea. with the motor constantly on it will eat up some juice. that will also shorten the life span of the motor though. i set mine to 90 degrees but i need to crawl back up there and reset it to 100. here in LA, the attic can reach 90 degrees very easily which means that thing will be running a LOT. i already have high power bills lol ftml

i should have gone with the solar one so i could have it run day and night. im spending $$ trying to make my house more energy efficient and keep cool. i have a 2 story house and upstairs gets hot.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
A friend recently bought a two story house in a very hot area.

She had two attic fans installed and also had vents installed in the ceiling of the second floor hallways. When the attic fans are started up the vacuum opens the vents and draws all the hot air out of the house before fireing the AC.
It gets the hot air out of the house pretty fast. And as soon as the AC is started the attic fans shut off. They are all hooked into a single control system.

Rct851

Established Member
^^^clever.

I'm a roof salesman is houston. I push the solar units over the electric hookups. It so friggin hot here as a I type this. I'd want it running all the time

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Yea, attics are just great till you have to work in one for a week straight in July.

Get the solar power fan.

You may want to look into radiant barrier as well. Reflects 90% of heat back out the roof, it can lower attic temps 20+ degrees.

5.8 Venom

Established Member
just installed a new one in my attic. a thermostat controlled one. it was about $100. the solars were $200+
if you plan to run it non-stop, set it at a low temp, then solar might be a good idea. with the motor constantly on it will eat up some juice. that will also shorten the life span of the motor though. i set mine to 90 degrees but i need to crawl back up there and reset it to 100. here in LA, the attic can reach 90 degrees very easily which means that thing will be running a LOT. i already have high power bills lol ftml

i should have gone with the solar one so i could have it run day and night. im spending $$ trying to make my house more energy efficient and keep cool. i have a 2 story house and upstairs gets hot.

I need to get one of those, especially for $100, where did you pick yours up at?

bigblue95z

Established Member
Hmmm, I always thought electric roof fans were a band-aid for an improperly sealed and vented roof. A lot of times the insulation guys cover the lower soffits messing up the circulation.

Good basic article. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/pdf/021221068.pdf

This. Shouldn't need a fan. It's like putting a booster fan in your HVAC ducting. It's a bandaid for your HVAC ducting not being properly balanced. If you're having that big of a problem, it may be time to ditch those roof vents and get a ridge vent up there. Much better than your run of the mill cap type vents. May not be that cheap, but it's done right. And definitely stick your head up there to be sure they didn't cover the soffit.

Users who are viewing this thread