Attention All Break Gurus1

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
Attention All Brake Gurus! I need advice!

I did the brakes on my '01 today and noticed a tear in the right rear caliper piston seal (the rubber piece that covers the piston). I know the seal for the piston is way in the back, but the rubber boot is torn. Other than element damage, am I in any trouble, and if so, how can it be repaired? Please don't tell me I need FOUCKMO part to fix this........
Thanks.........Brad

Last edited:

price1

Established Member
You should replace a ripped/torn dust seal. Why?? Moisture will get in there and corrode the caliper bore and/or piston. I've seen this happen. Then, you end up having to buy a new caliper when it starts leaking because of the rust pitting. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to replace them but it's a lot cheaper then buying a new caliper.

Good luck....

green99_svt

Established Member
price1 said:
You should replace a ripped/torn dust seal. Why?? Moisture will get in there and corrode the caliper bore and/or piston. I've seen this happen. Then, you end up having to buy a new caliper when it starts leaking because of the rust pitting. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to replace them but it's a lot cheaper then buying a new caliper.

Good luck....

thats good advice, replace that boot or the square cut piston seal will leak, possibly even sieze the piston in the bore if left untreated

RoyWoods

Established Member
SPXTrader said:
Any tips for the install or suppliers for the dust boot? ALL input is welcome...!

FWIW, a pair of new OEM rear calipers from Steve (see sticky) is $165. They do come with new brake pads, but it looks like you just replaced yours. :( I think if you try and buy just the dust boot, you'll end up having to get it from Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread