Attended my first autoX

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ive been ontrack before at HPT and Hallett but I never had attended an auto X. In my mind I had pictures of a very tight course geared heavily towards smaller imports that would limit my car to the extent that it wouldnt be much fun so I never went.
With HPT torn up all summer being repaved and a craving for some seat time regardless of where it came from I loaded up my MXs in the back of the car this morning and headed for Salina, KS. We arrived about 10am and I got my street tires swapped out.
My g/f, Kristin and I started out to walk the course when I looked at her and said "I dont know what the cones mean?" As we headed back in we met another participant. I asked him if he minded us walking with him through the course. He said "sure" and he was a great help. I doubt I would have done as good if I hadnt had him to show me the way.
Kristin and I headed out to station II as Heat I lined up in the grid. Working a station gave me a good understanding of the course and what corner workers do regardless if its a Road Course or Auto X. Then, finally it was Heat IIs turn. My first run was a slow get the feeling for this pace, I ran a 56.903, second run was a 50.951, third was 49.948 but I killed my first cone and ended up with a 51.948, fourth run was my best timed run I ran a 49.257 final run with the MXs starting to get alittle greasy I managed a 49.706. For comparison the Miatas and S2000s on Hoosiers were running in the 43-45 sec range and a Z06 with race rubber and an experienced driver ran a 45.XXX. Everyone was suprised when they found out this was my first time on an AutoX course. I was happy with my times and my car.
They had timed fun runs after the heats and I took Kristin out with me. This was her first time to ride with me, most HPDEs dont allow passengers. I think Ill take her with me more often cause I ran my best time of the day a 48.336!!!
The course was long with no crossovers, the starting line was followed by a slight right hander to a chicago box then a left out of the box to a left side entry 6 cone slalom, sweeping out of the slalom to a large right left right chicane, on the last right it was followed by a left to carry you out for the right hand sweeping carousel that brought you back towards the finish line with a few wide slaloms and another chicago box before the finish straight. It was a well designed course that let me utilize alot of my mustangs power instead of solely focusing on just handling. Im hooked on autoX now also, the best part is unlike HPT which is 150 miles away from me Salina is 45 miles. Thanks for reading, now its time for a few more suspension mods. :D

Last edited:

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
I did my first autox on Sunday and am hooked, I can drive ten miles and do an AutoX once a month. It was a great time testing the limits of my new Mustang GT.

Users who are viewing this thread