Atten: pulley users loosing power at 5k

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
I experienced this problem Saturday that some of you guys are havining while data logging a local customer's car. Right at around 5k when it hit around 14 lbs of boost. After checking a bunch of stuff out here's what I found. On these cars like the lightnnings there is 2 ACT's (air charge temp) sensors, one in the inlet tube and one in the manifold. When the car climbed up to peak boost the voltage on the ACT in the manifold spiked. When this happened the EEC pulled out 6 degs of timing! Yes it was extremely hot yesterday around 99 degs. We let the car cool down then added a bunch of ice to the coolent tank on the intercooler and then took it back out quick and did a pull. Made 14lbs of boost and didn't pull timing. After about a mile the ice was gone. I will be working on something that will take care of this problem this week. Will this still happen when the weather starts getting cooler? We shall see.

Rick

jtfx6552

Established Member
14 pounds of boost!??? I want to hit 14 Lbs of boost! Let me know how you're gettin' there. is that a 2.8 pulley? In that other post I wasn't sure if you meant call today, I tried, I guess I'll give you a call tommorrow.

JT

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
14 pounds of boost!??? I want to hit 14 Lbs of boost! Let me know how you're gettin' there. is that a 2.8 pulley? In that other post I wasn't sure if you meant call today, I tried, I guess I'll give you a call tommorrow.

JT

Rick & JT, one question for you and others in here today. Do all of you guy's who have changed your Stock Supercharger Pulley over to either a 2.93" or 2.80" , Also installed the Goodyear Gatorback Belt 4080745? As if you have not done so, what you are experiencing is Massive Belt Slippage and the only way to correct that is to replace the supercharger belt , with a Goodyear Gatorback, as a Gates, Dayco, Motorcraft Supercharger Belt, does not have the tensil strength that the Gatorback does. The Gatorback Belts are all Pre-Stretched from the factory and the tensil strength is 10 times stronger than any other belt made today for our Forced Air Induction engines.

Very few people know that when changing to smaller supercharger pulleys and trying to use the stock supercharger belt , they will experience this problem, as the Factory Supercharger Belt is already stretched out enough in the first 500 miles of new ownership and this is the reason why they all slip. Hope this helps, as if you have changed to a smaller supercharger pulley and Do not have a smaller Gatorback SC Belt on there, this could be your problem.

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Terry,
Hey, not sure if you remember me, but you overnighted the Gatorback belt for me to JJ's.
Anyway, I am using the Gatorback 4080745. It was cooler today and Ithink I saw 13 psi for the first time (it is a little hard to stare at the boost gauge, the tach and drive) but it still starts to drop above the high 5K rpms.
JT

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
Terry,
Hey, not sure if you remember me, but you overnighted the Gatorback belt for me to JJ's.
Anyway, I am using the Gatorback 4080745. It was cooler today and Ithink I saw 13 psi for the first time (it is a little hard to stare at the boost gauge, the tach and drive) but it still starts to drop above the high 5K rpms.
JT

JT, have you guy's both changed your sparkplugs yet to NGK TR6's and gapped them at a tight .040. With using a smaller supercharger pulley and trying to use the stock sparkplugs, this has been a problem with not only Lightning's, but I have also seen it in the 03 Cobra's.

Chips tuned to the modifications done to the car have shown that with running a smaller supercharger pulley, the Fuel Curves and Timing are Optimized and will also eliminate the same problems you are speaking of here. When ever your engine makes more boost, of course the Fuel Curve and Timing is very important, in respect to producing a more efficient running Forced Air Induction engine. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread