Attempting to perform my first paint correction on 03 black cobra.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Okay guys. I have been using Zaino car wax on my car for the past 4 years and really want to change it up a bit. I was wondering if someone could give me insight on paint correction. Yes this is my first time doing a paint correction on my car (which is black).

I guess going to my questions;

What kind of products do you all use for a dark
Color car? It seems like there are so many combos out there and everyone is using something different.

Also I understand the steps would be compound, glaze, wax, and seal but it seems like some people use 2 compounds skip the glaze then just wax it maybe seal if they have time.

Sorry guys I am new to this and really would like to ask the members for some insight.

Thanks

jdcobra

Established Member
It really just depends on how bad the paint is. There is always different tools for each job (pads, product, and machine). Could you snap some close up pics of the car and post them up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StannggerrEd

Established Member
The paint seems to have minor swirls and scratches. I can definitely send a picture once I get home. Thank you.

Joeski

Established Member
If you have access to a DA then use it. Since you said they were minor i would start with a product thats not harsh. Megs Swirl X for example. If that doesnt work you could move up in pad or product. Leys say you used a polishing pad. You may find the same product with a cutting/compounding pad might work. You always want to start with the mildest product and work your way up.

hoamskilet

Established Member
If you're going to all that work, toss the glaze, it's not needed. Also, if you're going to use a sealant and a wax (I'm assuming a carnauba), the sealant would go on first. It's hard to tell you what you need without seeing the car, but you always want to use the least aggressive method first (do a test spot first to dial in what you need and go from there). If you don't already have a DA, get one. I can't even fathom doing paint correction by hand. If it really is just minor swirls, chances are you could get by with a good polish and skip the compounding step. If you're buying new stuff, I highly recommend picking up some HD Polish

StannggerrEd

Established Member
So I tried to get a good picture of the car today but I'm just gona have to wait until I clean it up and have some good sunlight to show the condition of the paint. I do not have a da but am looking to get one maybe from harbor freight heard some good reviews for the price.
Honestly the only thing I have done to the car is Zaino wax which looks great but the swirls are really starting to bug me now.

I will definitely look into the HD polish. As for wax I was debating between dodo wax or pinnacle..... But I'm not so sure what the best would work on black.

Troponin

Established Member
Are you planning on using a machine buffer? If so, you might want to practice on something first. Black is one of the hardest to correct and you can end up with bad swirls and even burn the paint, depending on the pads and chems you're using.

I used to get my stuff from a commercial distributor called Eureka. They used numbers, much like sandpaper, to make it easier. It ranged from 600-1500, but I mostly used 800 and 1500, then True Grit for those really bad jobs.

Wool pads move easier across paint, but are more likely to leave swirls. I preferred wool most of the time. Foam, OTOH, leaves less swirls, is less forgiving, however, it will burn if you go too slow/have the speed too high and doesn't clean up pain as dramatically as wool can.

There is so much to learn about paint correct though. Chemicals actually make less of a difference than pads and technique contribute. An experience person can take cheap chems and make a car look amazing, granted he has the rest of the equipment.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Yes I was planning on using a da. I definitely have heard black is one of the hardest to do. That's why before I do my car I have a black body panel (that is trash) that I would like to try on before attempting on my car.

Wow I didn't know that a pad could burn by going too slow. I was definitely debating about giving it a try since im pretty mechanically inclined and a fast learner.

hoamskilet

Established Member
If you only have minor swirls I would just stick with a good foam pad (look into lake country, buff n shine, meguiars). While damage *can* occur, it is pretty unlikely with a da

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Take a quick look at this video

https://youtu.be/Et6Egpw-f-s

There is certainly a learning curve with technique to get good at correcting, but it's nothing to really be worried about to jump in and start learning

That is a really good video. I think I'm going to buy that porter cable in the video. Would you recommend me buying a starter kit with pads/ and a swirl removed or compound. Or would it be better to piece it all together?

StannggerrEd

Established Member
288395c276bd0f09e0be39d8777d3789.jpg
6a50955ccacc719cd33fa1259e5a0fa4.jpg

motoo344

Established Member
Where in MD are you located? I do detailing and don't mind looking it over for you and giving you some pointers. Me and my wife live down in Northern MD.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
I'm located in churchville so northern md too. I would really really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread