Attempted carbomb in Times Square

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
At least it's reported to look like amateurish work but even a fireball bomb could hurt quite a few people.

Discuss.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Here, let me fix your thread for you.

"Federal authorities have joined the search for a suspect who planted a crude car bomb of propane, gasoline and fireworks in a smoking Nissan Pathfinder in the heart of Times Square on Saturday evening, prompting the evacuation of thousands of tourists and theatergoers on a warm and busy night.

Although the device had apparently started to detonate, there was no explosion, and early on Sunday the authorities were reviewing surveillance tapes and forensic evidence as they sought out a motive.

“We are very lucky,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said at a 2:15 a.m. press conference. “We avoided what could have been a very deadly event.”

A large swath of Midtown — from 43rd Street to 48th Street, and from Sixth to Eighth Avenues — was closed for much of the evening after the Pathfinder was discovered just off Broadway on 45th Street. Several theaters and stores, as well as a portion of the Marriott Marquis Hotel, were evacuated. The streets and hotels have since reopened.

Federal authorities said the incident appeared to be an isolated one, and that there was no evidence of an ongoing threat to the city.

“We are treating it as if it could be a potential terrorist attack,” Janet Napolitano, the Homeland Security secretary, told CNN, one of several television appearances she made on Sunday morning.

The bomb itself was not a sophisticated device, Ms. Napolitano said on ABC’s “This Week.” She said there was no clear sense about how large the explosion might have been. “Right now, we have no evidence other than it is a one-off,” she said.

On Sunday, police and F.B.I. officials were also investigating a 911 call placed at around 4 .a.m. on Sunday, several officials said. The caller, who one official said sounded intelligent, admonished the 911 dispatcher not to interrupt him until he was finished and then said there would be a massive explosion soon and the car in Times Square was only a diversion.

The call came from a payphone at West 53rd Street and Seventh Avenue, which detectives have since dusted for fingerprints, the officials said.

It remained unclear what link, if any, existed between the caller and the failed car bomb from hours earlier, the officials said.

The Pathfinder was towed by police to a forensic facility in Jamaica, Queens, where investigators are scouring it for fingerprints and other DNA evidence, such as skin cells, saliva, blood or hair follicles. No prints have yet been found, officials said, but the analysis is still in its early stages.

The authorities were also examining the incendiary materials discovered inside the Pathfinder by a police bomb squad on Sunday: three canisters of propane, similar to those used for barbecue grills, and two red five-gallon cans of gasoline.

Consumer-grade fireworks, resembling a model known as M-80s, were taped around the outside of the gasoline cans, according to several people briefed on the contents of the car. Two clocks with batteries, including one that resembled a child’s toy, were connected to the device by small wires.

Investigators believe that the fuses on the firecrackers had been lit, but they did not explode, the people said. The burning fuses apparently ignited a portion of the car’s interior, causing a small fire that filled the inside of the car with smoke, one law enforcement official said.

Another official said that the popping noises heard by a firefighter as he approached the vehicle may have been made by the fireworks failing to fully detonate.

Investigators were reviewing similarities between the incident in Times Square and coordinated attacks in the summer of 2007 that targeted a Glasgow airport and a neighborhood in London of nightclubs and theaters. Both incidents involved cars containing propane and gasoline that did not explode. Those attacks, the authorities believed, had their roots in Iraq.

“You can find similarities among different attacks, but there is nothing that we have at this point that has established that link,” said Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman, who noted that the London and Glasgow incidents stand out among the others the department is reviewing.

Investigators from Homeland Security are also collaborating on the case.

Mr. Bloomberg plans to treat the mounted officer who discovered the car bomb to a dinner on Sunday night at a restaurant in Times Square, to demonstrate, aides said, that the area is safe and has returned to a state of normalcy. They will eat at Blue Fin, at the W Hotel on 47th Street, around 7 p.m."

Read more here

Last edited:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Not on the Disney channel. LOL Damn kids.
:beer:

:beer: That's why I'm at work to get work done, doesn't happen if I try at home with a 2 year old.

I find it funny that the inept bomber tried to remove the VIN tag thinking that would stump the authorities.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i dont understand why everything is just concentrated in new york when "terrorists" plan attacks. i mean i do but it's so unnerving when you live near all this stuff. i think we should blow a hole in the middle east if something else extreme happens here.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
seems to simple for them, not a very high end bomb to say the least, I would assume it would not do the type of damage they normally like to incur from conventional bombs

+1.

I would place my money on a "home grown" operation before I would the Taliban or some other established terrorist organization.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
my thoughts exactly. The taliban just want to take credit for any type of bomb threat these days. The bomb was not too elaberate since they had propane tanks and fireworks lol

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
i dont understand why everything is just concentrated in new york when "terrorists" plan attacks. i mean i do but it's so unnerving when you live near all this stuff. i think we should blow a hole in the middle east if something else extreme happens here.

The trouble is, what do you do when the terrorist are from/live the U.S and carrying out the attacks?:read:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
well bomb threats are concentrated in new york since it has oh i don't know, around 8 million people in the city alone plus tons of businesses are there so why not New York.

They might be trying to take out all those street vendors selling the gyro sandwiches. I know I would kill for one.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
or maybe it was just a propane/fireworks salesman that had to run to the bathroom and left the truck running and slipped on his urine and got knocked unconscious. Got amnesia and doesn't remember a thing......

Users who are viewing this thread